Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Problem of the day

Old 03-16-2005, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem of the day

Okay guys, having a problem with my Tib and wondering if you guys have any ideas. We changed the rear tail light bulbs this afternoon. Drove the car out fine. Turned it off, turned it back on a few minutes later, the signals weren't working and I couldn't shift gears. I had to pop the shift override shit in order to be able to shift gears. I checked all the fuses and everything seems to be fine. My check engine light also came on. It could be these are two seperate issues, but does anybody have any idea what's up? Last week I changed the license plate bulb and the check engine light came on. The car was misfiring and I found a hole in the spark plug wires. I guess that'll teach me to change bulbs! Help! confused.gif
Old 03-16-2005, 04:36 PM

i believe there is a certain bulb that is incompatible with our tibs that creates some kind of problem, but im not too familiar with this..... some one will probly be here to help more than me
Old 03-16-2005, 04:37 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

it's really impossible for the tail lights to stop you from changing gears.
can you find someone with an OBD2? that's your best bet, if you threw a CEL that could probably point you in the right direction, at least as to why you can't shift gears (probably)
as far as the turn signals..do your hazards work? are you sure you checked all the fuses? is it possible the wire behind the dash for a hazards got messed up?
Old 03-16-2005, 04:39 PM

There were about 4 technicians looking at my car. Mind you I work at a GM dealer so we don't exactly have a Hyundai scan tool. The brake lights were the only things working.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:41 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

you dont need a hyundai scan tool to check codes. only to reset things.

if not, go to autozone or something and get it scanned for free.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:53 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (breck)</div><div class='quotemain'>Okay guys, having a problem with my Tib and wondering if you guys have any ideas. We changed the rear tail light bulbs this afternoon. Drove the car out fine. Turned it off, turned it back on a few minutes later, the signals weren't working and I couldn't shift gears. I had to pop the shift override shit in order to be able to shift gears. I checked all the fuses and everything seems to be fine. My check engine light also came on. It could be these are two seperate issues, but does anybody have any idea what's up? Last week I changed the license plate bulb and the check engine light came on. The car was misfiring and I found a hole in the spark plug wires. I guess that'll teach me to change bulbs! Help! confused.gif</div>

What kinda bulbs did you change?
The brake lights or the Signals, and did you just use NORMAL incondenscent bulbs or did you change them with LEDs or something not STOCK?
Old 03-16-2005, 10:57 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

i remember that LED type bulb affected the cruise control..
wonder if they might affect the automatic tranny also (shift interlock)
Old 03-16-2005, 10:58 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

brake light bulbs are 2357, I changed mine last night. Your turn signal bulbs are usually connected to your brake lights I think... as far as fuses go. Like the right side turn signal and brake light might both be out simultaneously, but it usually also has the sunroof or dash lights out also (if it's a fuse).

I'd definitely check your codes @ AutoZone. A couple days ago my brake light and my headlight bulb went out in the same day, but it was just a coincidence.

Go to autozone. They check CEL for free. Bulbs do not equal CEL, it's just a coincidence

in my experience, when one thing messes up, more things seem to mess up at the same time.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:15 AM

Okay, here we go. The code is p1613. We used an aftermarket scan tool to get the code, so it wouldn't get the definition. Looking for that on google, it appears to mean "MIL Request Signal Circuit High Input". I'm going to call the dealer to see what they think.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:21 AM

Well for the lights did you check both fuse boxes? There is one under the hood that has the fuses for the blinkers and such (I burnt one out before) and there is also a fuse box to the left and down of the steering wheel right by the foot rest pad.