Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Port And Polish Head?

Old 11-29-2006, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: car

Is it hard to do yourself or should i get it done. And is there any power difference or anything you can feel? Prices? I used search option and nothing of value came up...
Old 11-29-2006, 02:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

That is a question, isn't it? Could someone port and polish a head (or a IM for that matter) themselves?
Old 11-29-2006, 02:59 PM

Vehicle: car

Yea. I was wondering if it's a possible DIY for a P&P job, or is that more of a shops job. What are average prices and average gains. And is it worth it?

I saw the thread where blacktib said 500$ and REDZ said that's 2x too much, but imm interested in doing my car right and I don't know that much about tibs yet... I know about basic mods but when it comes to BBTB, different cams, all these spacer gaskets and all this, im at a loss. That's why I ask these dumb questions.

Redz >.< sorry man, know you get annoyed with repeats, but im anxious to learn the RIGHT way instead of opinions by other users who don't know their stuff like you. I've seen different forums and threads and sites, but other people have opinions and I want to make sure I buy good parts and do things the right way..

thanks, Adam
Old 11-29-2006, 03:11 PM

Talkin to Socks and it sounds like at least with the IM it could be done with patience and an Dremel. The question still stands though: has anyone actually done it? I'm interested in seeing if there's someone out there who can give advice on it.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:37 PM

porting and polishing is one job you do do not want to get into without some experience. It is FAR too easy to just start hogging out the intakes and while you may make great power at the top end, you will lose a lot at the bottom due to a lack of flow.

That is the whole point. In many cases, a smaller port will actually flow better than a larger one.. especially at the revs our cars typically see. If you must do it yourself, do nothing more than port MATCH the intake to the head.. that will help any obstructions in the air flow as it goes from the intake into the head.

You can also get in there and clean up any casting flash... beyond that, leave it to a pro.. either somebody with a flow bench or Extrudehone with thier magical silly putty abrasive
Old 11-29-2006, 03:52 PM
Banned

yah, thats why i told him to just polish up the flaws..

best way to port/polish an IM is have it done the RIGHT way using that crazy putty or the bead poslishing or w/e its called.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:58 PM

Most people who try P&P themselves end up doing more harm than good...and when it comes to your head...I dont think you want to be replacing that any time soon. I have seen more than one head come into the shop because I a first timer, and its not fun or easy fixing it to working condition.

Spend the $$$ get it done by a pro.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:07 PM

yup, i agree with whats been said, for a true port job, have at done at a shop with a flow bench. thats the only way you know you are getting what your paying for.

i personally clean up casting flaws in manifolds, and heads when i rebuild them, but thats a very basic.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:40 PM

An IM or something wouldn't be too bad for a start, I wouldn't go near a head if you've never ported and polished anything before.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:23 PM

Vehicle: 1997/Tiburon/FX

Yeah dude Id deffintaly stay away from touching the head. Get a pro for that. And for the IM its risky, but a good thing to start on. I mean IF something does go wrong with the IM its much easier to fix the problem than fixing a head.

As for gains IDk, but im interested in Numbers as well.