Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

P1124 - long term fuel trim error-system lean

Old 10-28-2011, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: RD2 Tib
Default P1124 - long term fuel trim error-system lean

Hello folks, my RD Tib threw this lean code at me and now it runs like garbage It cant idle steadily and stumbles at wide-open throttle. What can I do to help!
Old 10-28-2011, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The shop, electrical, diagnostic trouble codes, and owners' manuals are available free, from Hyundai:

Use Internet Explorer

Go to http://www.hyundaitechinfo.com/

This is from DTC > TIBURON(RC) >2001 > G 2.0 DOHC > Engine > Engine Control > DTC - P1123, P1124, P1127, P1128 > Diagnostic Procedure

Old 10-28-2011, 08:24 PM

Oh wow, so this is not an ignition problem? It feels like the car has a bad misfire - it falls flat on its face in wide-open throttle and when idling it shakes like one of the plugs arent firing.

I was thinking about replacing spark plugs and wires (one of the wires is patched with electrical tape, who does that?!) but I guess I shouldnt bother replacing ignition bits if they arent the problem.

I've had a bad secondary O2 sensor for a while now, but its never made the car run this poorly before
Old 10-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

aw, fail! Be sure the consumables are fresh and the known-bad parts are replaced before chasing wild geese! If you KNOW you have bad wires and a bad sensor, replace them! The third box down the troubleshooting matrix mentions oxygen sensors, even.

It's a system. Replace the components you know or strongly suspect are bad, reset the computer and see if the code comes back.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Stocker
aw, fail! Be sure the consumables are fresh and the known-bad parts are replaced before chasing wild geese! If you KNOW you have bad wires and a bad sensor, replace them! The third box down the troubleshooting matrix mentions oxygen sensors, even.

It's a system. Replace the components you know or strongly suspect are bad, reset the computer and see if the code comes back.

Awesome Stocker, I'll do plugs and wires cause I'm sure the previous owner never did them (based on how the rest of the car was treated ) The O2 sensor is a little tricky, I suspect the secondary O2 sensor CEL is lit up because the flex pipe is torn and the O2 sensor isnt getting a good reading

On a side note, this little RD Tib sounds like its got a big-block V8 running wild cams - misfire and torn flexpipe makes an awesome sound
Old 10-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Oh noes! You havva basket case!

Just kidding. These cars are simple. Have fun fixing 1000 simple problems!
Old 10-29-2011, 11:37 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Mine ran like sh*t when my Throttle positioning sensor took a crap. It would barely get going and then would sputter at higher speeds