Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Overheating

Old 07-26-2007, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok for some reason Im overheating.
Now i replaced the thermostat today still heating.
My radaitor is pretty new.I dont see no coolant leaks.
Now my gauge has gotten up to the red part but no steam I pull right over and let it cool.
The fans go on like they should.
What else should I look for?
Im thinking I have a falty sending unit cause the temp under hood seems the same as always when its running good
and when its suppose to be really hot.Car runs fine till I start hitting boost.
Any help would be great
Old 07-26-2007, 07:16 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

check for water leaking from the weap hole under the water pump. It's all the way at the front of the engine on the passenger side. don't mistake it for the A/C water drips. If it's dripping coolant, you'll need a new water pump.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

how's the fluid in the coolant reservoir? Are the flans blowing the air in the proper direction (both spinning the same way, pulling air out of radiator into engine bay) ?? Sounds stupid, but that was my problem.

Grab the top radiator hose once the engine gets to the "normal" operating temp and see if you can feel fluid moving through it. It'll be hot, but squeeze and try to feel fluid.

It's possible that you bought a faulty thermostat. One way to test them before you install them is to boil some water, then let it cool off a little, drop the thermostat in the water and see if it opens.

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">(someone correct me if I'm giving false info)</span>
Old 07-26-2007, 08:08 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

I had this issue on my J2, I upgraded to the Koyo radiator and it fixed the problem. You don't have a bad temperature sending unit, just from your turbo and what not under the hood, sh@t heats up alot faster.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:28 PM

majiks right. we had the same problem on our 210 hp diesel power plant. The thermostat was screwed on it. We tested it out like magik said to diagnose(sp) the problem for sure.

What you can do, is pull your new thermostat out, and run your car without one for a few days. It won't hurt your car at all, unless it's currently cold where you are now? Maybe just let the engine idle for a min before you start driving. If you're still over heating, i'd look at your fans, or your rad itself. If you're not, then its obviously the thermostat
Old 07-26-2007, 08:38 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

is your turbo water cooled as well?
Old 07-26-2007, 08:48 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jay-M @ Jul 26 2007, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>is your turbo water cooled as well?</div>

If you're asking me, yes, all our power plants are water cooled
Old 07-26-2007, 09:35 PM

no my turbo isnt hooked up for water yet.
also tried 2 new thermostats.
As for fans i have one on one side another on the other side blowing right way.
Also I took ac out.But i will check for that to see if it leaks.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:08 PM

Vehicle: car

Coolant temp sensor? Or collapsing hose perhaps.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:01 AM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Did you burp the engine like i explained in the PM?

When an air bubble gets caught in a part of the radiator tube it prevents the water from moving properly and can make you think the radiator system is full when its not. The pressure in the radiator prevents the air bubble from escaping.

My tib got a little hot yesterday and i remembered that i hadnt burped the engine when i recently messed with the coolant system, so i let it run with the radiator cap off (after it cooled down of course), gave the radiator tubes a little squeeze to help move the air bubble out; a few bubbles and five minutes later, i topped the radiator back off, put the cap back on.

Then i proceeded to get stuck in a traffic jam for an hour in the baking 90 degree heat (more in the sun) and she stayed cool.

Btw what time you want me to come over today? liverpool or cicero?