Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

oil change

Old 02-24-2005, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil change

k iv done oil changes before just havent recently so tell me what i forget or what im doing wrong. k first i take off the oil filter then unscrew the bolt and let the oil drain then pour some oil in and flush it out then screw the bolt back in and then fill the oil filter halfway with oil and get some oil around the seal then put that on and fill it up with about 4 quartz. tell me what i forget or what is wrong. thanx
Old 02-24-2005, 10:45 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

for starters, you have to drain the oil before you take the filter off or oil's gunna come outta there... also, i normally put the new filter on before i put any in... but i suppose you could fill it halfway and then put it on
Old 02-24-2005, 10:46 PM

I unscrew the cap on the engine then unscrew the bolt, let the oil drain, then unscrew the filter, let it drain, then put some oil on the filter's seals, put it on, close the bolt, put new oil in, close the cap.

done
Old 02-25-2005, 05:57 AM

here's the steps...i do this for a living..

1. Take the oil cap off, it creates a constant flow of oil out of the pan.
2. pull the oil pan plug, let it drain.
3. The oil filter, with or without draining the oil, willl have oil in it and will leak so you can get it off at any time.
4. put the drain plug back in. make sure not to cross-thread it though...happens all to often and is a pain if you take it to a place next time.
5. Lube the gaskt on the new filter and put it on the vehicle.
6. Add oil...RD1 and RD2 both take 4.25 quarts of oil. Just to let you know.
7. Hop in the car..start it up. The rev it for a couple seconds. This is called a leak check. look at the plug and filter and make sure they are not leaking.

It is too Easy.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:47 AM

^I used to work at the WalMart automotive department and that's close to how we used to do it.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:50 AM

SlowKDM, does it really take 4.25 q for our tibs? I always put 4 and never had problems with it, and my oil is always in level.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:05 AM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

yup that stuff will Get R done for ya. oil is cake, only time i dont do it myself is when im at school..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CyberShark)</div><div class='quotemain'>^I used to work at the WalMart automotive department and that's close to how we used to do it.</div>

one of my friends last semester went to walmart to get oil and they drained it but never put new oil in... she got on the highway to go home and her engine blew up...
Old 02-25-2005, 09:18 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CyberShark)</div><div class='quotemain'>I used to work at the WalMart automotive department and that's close to how we used to do it.</div>

If I go to WalMart and ask them to change my oil over to synthetic will they do it or hastle me about it?
Old 02-25-2005, 09:18 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SloKDM)</div><div class='quotemain'>7. Hop in the car..start it up. The rev it for a couple seconds. This is called a leak check. look at the plug and filter and make sure they are not leaking.It is too Easy.</div>
the reason to start the car, in addition to what you said, is to get oil into the filter. then shut off the car, check the level and add whatever needed....

everything else is pretty much right on it. It doesn't matter if you take the filter off before or after you drain the pan. i personally, when doing OC's at work, would always take the filter off first. then, i would drain the oil... doing it that way would give me time to crush the old filter, get the new filter and drain plug gasket yadda yadda yadda...

oh... when it comes to warranties and crap. if your dealership is anal when it comes to proof of maintenance, save the receipts of your oil and filter purchases and write down the mileage you changed it at on the receipts. it's always good to have proof that you're takin care of your car.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:45 AM

awesome, thanx for the help