Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

O2 Sensor & Air/fuel Gauge

Old 07-21-2005, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was looking at all the threads about the air/fuel meters & gauges.
given that we have two narrow band sensors, which cannot read accurately the signal (but only something like a 3 state switch - lean/stoich/rich) and that's why a common air/fuel gauge will not work well ... someone said the solution should be to buy a wide band O2 sensor, like BOSCH or NGK ones (but i don't even know the price of that ones).
Then i read about the DIY air/fuel meter, and it shows how to make an easy 10 led bar meter which should work correctly only by getting one wire from one of our O2 sensor.
Here is my question: Why a 10 led bar meter should works good by getting only one wire but a common cheap air/fuel gauge won't ?
That signal [0..1] Volt isn't the same or not ?
May i suppose that the common 20 led air/fuel gauge (like the cheapest chinese gauge on the market smile.gif will work exactly in the same way of the 10 led bar a/f meter ?
i'd like to clear this...

p.s i used to see wideband o2 sensor only with dedicated hardware (digital graphics display or so..) from my mechanics but i never heard about how to plug a wide band sensor alone for plugging an air/fuel meter on...

just for info: do Autometer A/f gauges work with a wide band sensor included or they can be plugged on existing o2 wires (even if narrow sensor)?

edit: forgive me my typing errors.. like Sir/fuel (in the subj.) instead of air/fuel... it's late here lmao.gif
Old 07-21-2005, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

edited your title for ya.

here is a good explanation on wideband vs. narrowband sensors...

http://www.turbosaturns.net/articles...%20sensors.htm