Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

New guy wondering a couple things

Old 03-10-2012, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon
Default New guy wondering a couple things

Hey everyone, I'm new to these forums & actually car forums in general. I signed up a couple weeks ago but waited til a nice day so I could take a picture of my car. I've got a 98 Tib. It's a work in progress, but it's my baby. I bought it off someone about a year ago & he put in a cold air intake, an exhaust, & I believe he said new pulleys & whatnot. I've only put in a sub, new speakers & an alarm. I've got rims that are being put on next week along with new tires. I plan on ripping the tints off, currently 35%, and putting 20% all around with a 5% shade banner on the windshield & installing a short shift sometime. I'm not very car literate I guess you can say. I know a couple things that you do to make the car faster, but not really all that much. I like how my car runs now, I just want it to get up to speed faster.

I've asked a couple shops around here about performance things & I'm either told 'The Tib wasn't popular then so you won't really find anything.' or 'You have an intake & an exhaust, that's all you need.' So, I come to you guys. I know there's performance chips out there for cars & ECU upgrades, things like that. I found a few things online, but I'm not sure about any of them. I'm wondering is any of this, this, or this legit? And if not, are there chips & the like for 98's? If there's no chips, what would you guys recommend I install or do to my car?

Old 03-10-2012, 08:48 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

Those chips are a waste of money, forget them.

As for performance parts, check out the vendor section here on the site. Some other sites are www.sharkracing.com www.kfxperformance.com http://sfrusa.3dcartstores.com/
Old 03-10-2012, 08:53 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

I still have some stuff to get rid of. Performance clutch/lightweight flywheel as part of a manual swap kit...
Old 03-10-2012, 09:05 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Hang tight, I'm working on getting the tib ecu's tuneable.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:38 PM

Good to know the chips aren't worth it. I was definitely considering a couple of them. Thanks for the links pas, but I honestly have no idea what most of that stuff is. I don't know about flywheels, blow off valves, headers, none of that. I know they exist, but I don't know what they do or anything. tree, it's a 5 speed so I don't know what I would need from the swap kit or what it would do. I can fix and build a computer, but cars are like doing calculus to me. (I have no idea how to even look at a calculus problem) 300, that would be awesome if you can get it. Wish you nothing but luck man.

If you guys have suggestions on what I should get first & what in what order, I would greatly, greatly, appreciate it.

Also, I was wondering if any of you guys know how to get the headlights from the Tib in my sig. It said on there that they are 08 Tib lights so I'm assuming I'd need brackets to fit em in & whatnot. I'd love to have my Tib be sweet looking like that one.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:42 AM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

if you already have a manual trans then you can forget the 5speed swap-.... that's for the automatic people that want a manual trans.

i've heard that our bosch style ecus could not be reflashed at all. this seems strange to me but there is kfx's megasquirt ecu. and i wanna say user funkypc wrote a diy on how to build your own megasquirt ecu.

a lightweight flywheel such as a findanza may be worth it to you-... it allows the engine to run a wee bit more efficient due to less weight that it has to lug around. it's a complex install but we do have a great diy on how to do it somewhere on here.

take a look @ those pullies-... odds are if they're black they're stock. definatley check the pulley @ the very bottom of the engine (the crank pulley it has two 4-rib belts on it) if that pulley is black then again it is most likely stock and can be easily replaced w/ an obx underdrive pulley which will give you a nice little bump in hp.

if you have a 2.0 engine try to find someone selling the 1.8 intake cam-... this was a performance part/trick hyundai used in the f2tiburon. again there is a diy for this and it's relativly simple

you can aslo go to atelierhp.com for their oversized throttle body. and while you install that you can also port match your intake manifold-... if you can, buy a phelonic intake spacer to get the outline of the ports.

do you know if your car has headers? if not i'd recomend the obx/knockoffs on ebay 4-2-1 header. i personally would stay away from the megan header (it has a tendancy to melt certain sensors).

.approved diys this is a great place to find all of the diys i've mentioned.

if i were you i wouldn't bother w/ the short shifter-... it doesn't make a huge differance. instead i'd look into getting shifter bushings (or modified skate bearings work too).

the mods i've listed i think most people in the n/a world would consider "worth it". i wouldn't waste much time/money with the others.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:00 AM

if you havn't schlammmed it yet...do it! Go for broke ksport coilovers over night from japan! or here : http://www.andysautosport.com/hyunda..._1999_tiburon/
Old 03-11-2012, 04:07 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Ksports are the sh*t son!!!

Welcome to the forum, and i persoanlly thank you for being an RD owner, I am also. Love it, super light and fun. Plus nobody will expect it to be a rocket ship.

Any way, things to do for a little horsepower N/A

1.Full Exhaust, get rid of the crappy header, and find a nice like 4-2-1 style, nice torque but style will put the power in the midrange.

2.Cold air intake, Ebay that, route it to the fender wel in the drivers side.

3.Pulley set, mainly the underdrive pulley on the crank snout.

4.Slam it!

That should be enough go for a bit, if you want more, get nitrous. Dont worry about a larger intake or throttle body, really just fucks with driveability of the car.

Here is my Rd for sh*t and Gigs!!

Old 03-16-2012, 05:22 PM

Haven't been able to jump on in a few days. I meant to take a picture of my engine to give you guys a look but on my way home today, my wheel flew off my car. I was heading back from getting them put on & it just straight up flew the f*ck off my car. Needless to say, it's not very photogenic now. I'll update once everything is okay with it. But on a lighter note, I appreciate all the help guys & I've decided the order of how I'm going to do things.

Pulleys

Cold Air Intake

Headers

Possibly a lightweight flywheel depending on how my car rides after the previous stuff.

I'm essentially going to just take out the things that are in there, & just buy new ones. That way I know what's in my car.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:16 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Yf Sonata

Well that's not a good update ,sorry to hear this did a shop put them on or did you ?what was the cause lugnut failure ...

oh nice to see another CT Hyundai.