Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Need Timing Belt change?

Old 09-04-2012, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Need Timing Belt change?

I've been reading horror stories about tiburon's blowing there engines because they didn't change out the timing belt. Is this a true statement for 01 Tiburon's? How often should the timing belt be changed out? I have 138k on mine right now and have no clue if it's been done before.

Is it an easy job (is there a DIY writeup anywhere)? Is it just the belt you would need for parts, or do you need new pulley's/tensioners/bolts/gaskets/etc? Thanks!
Old 09-04-2012, 02:13 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

replace it naow
Old 09-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Making a very, very rare positive addition to faithofadragon's reputation score, I most emphatically agree. If the timing belt was changed on time the first time, you are going on borrowed time. If it was never yet changed, you are on borrowed time and the very large, unpleasant-looking guy with a baseball bat standing beside you is from the time lending company.

replace it naow

Otherwise, the repair to fix it after it lets go is much more complicated (and expensive).

ETA: Also change the water pump because it is the epitome of "while you're in there" preventative maintenance.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:13 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT

Change it now

I just got done swapping my motor on my j2 and I did the timing belt while I did the water pump. Before I got the chance to do the swap the timing belt on my old motor broke. Don't know if that motor is still good.

Its not hard just a tight space and u need to make positive that your timing marks are on point or you will miss fire and have to do it again.

As for parts get a kit and like stocker said do the water pump while your at it
Old 09-05-2012, 06:25 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Support the engine with a jack

remove the timing belt covers, engine mount, and crank pulley

swap out the belt, tensioners and water pump

replace everything

If you've never done it before, it would take a maximum of a weekend's work. Get a workshop manual and go for gold.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:25 PM

Alrighty, I go ahead and swap out the belt, tensioner, idler, and water pump. It all comes in a kit on Rockauto for $82. Unless you guys think the tensioner and idler are unnecessary?

GATES Part # TCKWP284 PowerGrip Premium OE Timing Belt Component Kit W/Water Pump; 4 Components (1 Belt, 1 Tensioner, 1 Idler, 1 Water Pump)

Interference engine application

$81.79

Add Part
Old 09-05-2012, 03:45 PM

dont forget your drive belts, youll have em off, might as well replace em

and youll need some rtv, and coolant also, so pick those up before you disable your car

oh and iirc a 24mm socket to remove the crank pulley, and rent a pulley puller from vatozone
Old 09-05-2012, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The price is decent and yes the bearings should be replaced while you're in there. I never needed a puller, but my engine has always been warm when I started so the crank pulley comes right off.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:40 PM

Sweet, thanks guys. I'll just get the whole kit then. Freak, is it really a 24mm socket? Guess I'll have to buy that.

Already have plenty of coolant and rtv gasket maker. I may wait on the water pump though (I know call me stupid). Coolant system was just serviced and is mostly new (thermostat, hoses, fluid). I'll just wait till the water pump breaks...hopefully never!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:14 PM

problem is if the pump busts 10 miles down the road, you run the risk of it saturating the t-belt and ruining it

buyer beware