Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Need help! Knocking noise!

Old 02-09-2005, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help! Knocking noise!

Something happened to my car yesterday. All of the sudded I started hearing this knocking noise coming out from the left side of the engine bay only while I'm driving above 20mph and either not accelerating or barely pressing the gas. First I thought it was my intake that wasn't secure and was just banging against something, but I got to school today and took it out completely, drove around the parking lot and same noise. It sounds like two metal parts are banging against each other, noise of knocking loose intake would be a good description of the knocking noise. It feels like knocking becomes faster as my car moves faster, but I'm not sure if that's how it is.

I checked my wheels, they are tight. I got under the car too see if anything is loose, and nothing was. Looked all over the engine, as much as I could, and didn't find any signs of anything being loose.

I also, found some oil on top of my tranny. I wiped it off for now, so I'll see if I get it again on the way home.

Please help or give some suggestions on what it could be.

Thanks

OP
Old 02-09-2005, 12:21 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Tranny is on left side... it may be related to the tranny in some way. Can't really guess what it could be as it could be several things.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:39 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

Does it do it when you turn or when your just driving straight?? Could be a CV joint. I think that would be better than something in the tranny. Hopefully it's nothing serious. 02.gif
Old 02-09-2005, 12:47 PM

Yeah, hopefully its something not major. Could be suspension as well.. Is it a grating sound or what...?
Old 02-09-2005, 02:06 PM

It's not the CV joint, it only happens when I'm driving straight.
The oil on the tranny is what makes me wonder.... hopefully I won't have to replace the tranny 02.gif

Just remembered something. I was driving last night, and had to pass someone, so I went all the way to red line in 1st, happened by accident, I never go over 6000rpm. I never hit the fuel cut, but once I quickly shifted into 2nd, my car bogged and had a hickup effect, but a second or two later it was driving fine again....

any suggestions?

My dad tells me to sell the car while it's running along with all the crap that I bought and buy another car....
Old 02-09-2005, 02:06 PM

make sure its not an engine bearing. that could be the cause of the knocking sound
Old 02-09-2005, 02:14 PM

Sounds very similar to what happened to my Daytona. I was going to work one night and when I got to the intersection I saw a car was coming. Instead of waiting like a sane person, I decided I could floor it and get in front of him. Hit about 5K on the tach and BANG! All sorts of knocking and pinging, total loss of power. Not sure what I broke, but I bet it was very important.

Does the noise increase if you rev your engine in nuetral?
Old 02-09-2005, 02:14 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (paperstsoapco)</div><div class='quotemain'>make sure its not an engine bearing. that could be the cause of the knocking sound</div>

what's an engine bearing???
Old 02-09-2005, 02:19 PM

lol i wish i could help you, but i dont know for sure. my friend who had an elantra had the same problem. he didnt have enough oil or somethin and the next thing we knew clonk clonk clonk. the mechanic told him it was an engine bearing, and ive heard a bad engine bearing makes a loud knocking sound
Old 02-09-2005, 04:11 PM

They are little internal thingies... to check those you would have to tear off the head and such. If I'm understanding the meaning of an engine bearing correctly.

Is your oil level normal and is it fresh?