Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

N/A Engine Build Suggestions?

Old 09-23-2010, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon
Default N/A Engine Build Suggestions?

The engine in my Tib is starting to feel unhealthy. It works like complete sh*t until its up to operating temperature, it is going through a fair amount of oil, the valves/hla's are noisy, and the performance is starting to droop. It has around 240,000Kms on it and the compression in Cylinder #1 is low so I figure it's about time to tear it apart. I am buying a cheap 98 subaru legacy for the winter so that I can put the tib up and do some work on it. I'm gonna try my best to find a newer Beta II so I can start the rebuild while keeping the car on the road, but I'd like to hear some suggestions from you guys. For the record I have a cold air intake and headers.

I am not interested in forced induction this winter, nor am i interested in breaking some all-engine HP record. I Just want to have a healthy engine, and if im gonna be tearing it apart I'd like to do some mods to increase the power.

So far I'm thinking of:
1.8L pistons or other HC pistons
1.8L Cam
Shave 1mm off the head
Port/polish the head while i have it out
New HLA's if I stick with the Beta I
Underdrive pulleys
Lightwieght Flywheel/New clutch

Any thoughts?

Old 09-23-2010, 04:22 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

heres my general thoughts

spray a 50 shot

it will probably save you roughly 1000 bux if not more
Old 09-23-2010, 04:29 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon

personally, i turned to nitrous first, and its not as satisfying as the 1.8 pistons.

1.8 pistons will be by far the best n/a mod i have done.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:08 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

What does the 1.8 Piston on its own bring the compression ratio up to? If i do that AND shave the head am I gonna have a diesel motor?
Old 09-23-2010, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Not if you install Singh grooves
wink.gif
Old 09-24-2010, 04:22 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon

it raises the compression to 11:1 compression when combined with XD head gasket.

if your worried about your head needing resurfaced, that will not take 1mm off.

you can shave 1mm off but you also then should alter how the motor is timed. (so im told but it is a very small amount)

dont waste your time with the 1.8 cam there is very mixed results, at least in my opinion.

You can contact crower i believe for custom regrinds(with the specs you want), or kfx has a set of regrinds. i would say definitely go with a regrind over a 1.8 cam.

One thing i never did that i always wanted to do when i was n/a was over sized valves. However the price tag for the parts alone come in at 900.00

if you want an obx crank pulley i can sell you one cheap that is used, i had it on the car before i turboed.Pm me if your interested.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:46 AM

Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Coupe 2.0l SE

I agree with the 50 shot. My motor has 109k miles(175,500km) on it and after running gas through it the engine now purrs like a complete de-coke and clean out. And the plus side is that you could always turn the gas back on which is always fun wink.gif
Old 09-25-2010, 08:13 AM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

^^^ All of the above, Cant confirm the 1.8l piston deal, but it makes sense, i myself started out like you, I/H/E then i was like this is still slow, went with pulleys, 1.8l cam, and nitrous, then i was happy for a bit... Then filling the bottle got old, sold the Nitrous went basic build stock block, put the stock 2l cam in used CP 8.5/1 pistons in, then boosted the piss out of it, broke it a few times, like trans twice, doesnt like a solid hub.... lol now i am on the same build... Gt40 15lbs and i probably wont change it till it blows up... So if i was you either go nitrous off the bat, ditch all the cam crap... or just go turbo!
Old 09-25-2010, 10:06 AM

Vehicle: Tiburon 2001

if yo really want to get some decent power slap a turbo on that sh*t, although i love N/A cars they are much more involved in trying to squeeze power out of, especially ours

or you can contact these fellas and beg them to give you their secrets

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F236yStVuzI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F236yStVuzI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 09-25-2010, 10:26 AM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

^^^ Our Cars LOVE boost, even on a stock block you can make a good 250whp on a healthy motor, and still DD it!