Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Light Upgrades

Old 12-25-2005, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've decided to spend a little money on my car and upgrade it a bit. For now, I've decided on the AEM CAI, but I want more, so I need feedback from those who did any exhaust mods and also suspension mods. Is there any noticeable gain with performance headers? Can I remove my catalytic converter without worrying about any sensors? How stiff will the ride be with the Eibach Pro kit lowering springs (roads are not that great here sad.gif ) Are there any "major light mods" that I could do? thanks.gif
Old 12-25-2005, 06:44 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

No reason to completely remove the CAT. Just get a highflow one. Don't kill the environment. Yes there are noticable gains with the right headers. I have the Maintec GT Headers from Kspec.com and they are simply awesome with my APEXi 2.5" exhaust.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:46 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Headers and Exhaust (I have 4-2-1 Maintec Racing Headers, stock cat, 2.25in piping) did about the same as the Intake in my opinion. Of course it cost me $500 more. The Tib really doesn't respond well to bolt-ons compared to other cars. I rank the Tib with boltons right up there with S2000s and such... just don't seem to do too much. As a comparison, $800 in mods with my GSX knocked me down from around a flat 15 quarter to 13.5. I ran flat 16 with the Tibby, and with I\H\E I'm probably looking at best at a flat 15... if the car gods give me one of those nasty 2.2 second 60 foot FWD launches again.

As for sensors, you will need to have a shop weld in an o2 bung and extend the wiring for the second sensor. There is no way around this, and your car will run like crap without it. I smelled fuel when I tried driving it with the second sensor off. The ECU just dumps fuel whenever any code comes on. Kind of retarded for it to do that in an emissions related code, but thats what it does. Cost me $45 to put that sensor in.

Eibachs should ride ok from my understanding. They aren't too much rougher than stock is what I've heard.

"Major Light Mods" and "Inline-4 Tiburon" are oxymorons as I've explained. sad.gif
Old 12-25-2005, 09:01 PM

that about sums it up.. and please go with a high flow cat.. the one or two hp you would gain with running a straight pipe (if you could get the computer to let you do that) would not be worth the price you would pay in dirty air. I happen to like breathing, been addicted to it since I was born.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:15 PM

An AEM CAI will offer some very nice power, even if you have auto trans. It is a fantastic upgrade for the price!

A header without the rest of the exhaust will net you minimal gains. Honestly, I hardly felt any gains whatsoever.

If you get the Eibach Pro Kit, don't neglect your shocks! Get some KYB GR2 shocks!
Old 12-26-2005, 04:15 PM

Thanks a lot guys! Regarding the cat, u're perfectly right, I like breathing too, I'm not going to remove it. I guess the CAI is the best mod to get for not too much $$$, so I will go with the AEM. Other than that, I will think about the exaust, but I will definetly upgrade my suspension, Also, i will get a chip. I hope the chip and CAI will give some extra 20 hp superman.gif Is there any way, or anything I can change to make my ride stiffer, in terms of engine vibration? The Hyundai service told me the engine mounts are fine, but I'm not pleased with the vibration. They told me all Tiburons do that. Is that true? Does your car have engine vibration, especially between 3200-3900 rpm, or when floored at low rev? 10x again!
Old 12-26-2005, 04:25 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I say no on the chip. I wouldnt do it. Just get the CAI when you want to tune get a feul tuner, that would come after boltons, Id do it when you get new cams. Just dont get a chip.

Yea what faith said about the tires I have falcon azzenis they are very nice, but I dont know bout the man vs the auto with 1k bolt ons I think the auto would be a little a head but Ive never seen that race
Old 12-26-2005, 04:38 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

i will say this

nothing will make your car quicker and easier than a good set of sticky tires
seriously for 15 inch rims (stockers) you can get some awesome bfg g-force ta kdw2s for 400
which is less than a header and exhaust

with these tires and some driving time you can run like a half second or more faster in the quarter(depending on your driving ability and you have a stick right? if not dont even bother with bolt ons cuz you can have a grand worth of bolt ons on a auto and still lose to a stock standard tib)

think about that

and while your thinking

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR LOCATION AND YEAR OF VEHICLE
Old 12-26-2005, 04:41 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ye, KDW-2s are sweet. I love those street tires to death.

And yea, if you have an auto, might as well forget modifying it.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:35 PM

speaking of catalytic...

i'm going to put on the full exhaust system clsoer to spring.. and would like to change one.. now, i'm not spending 400+ on the high flaw catalytic..and while thinking about it..found a question. if i, say, put a cat from..hmm.. ford starcraft(5 liter) will that do the trick, while not cutting down the power?