Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

the legality of HID kits

Old 07-08-2011, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default the legality of HID kits

today i finally got the tib inspected here in the "little confederate town" Norfolk, virginia. got to talking with the inspector about mods that fail inspections. he tells me things like LED bulbs, modified headlights, not having a catalytic converter, and the normal safety items like tires and brakes.

little does he know that i failed the inspection a few months ago due to my modified headlights having angel eyes in them... he didnt notice them... thank God.... also a fail was my LED red blinkers in the tail lights. and LED bulbs in the front corner markers.

so how have you gotten away with the visual inspection in your state if you have an HID kit installed?

i read this and this and found that HID kits are completely illegal, no matter if they are DOT approved, one thing has nothing to do with the other.

is that info accurate ?

edit, just wanted to clarify, that i know our lo beams are projector lights and are ready for HID bulbs.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:12 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

The Tiburon is fine. We have projector headlights. Reflector headlights with HIDs are a hazard to others on the road.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:43 PM

Vehicle: 84 VW Rabbit, 01 Audi A8L, 08 VW GTI

well lows are fine then... but what about highs? highs are just reflective, i havent ordered my highs yet just ordered 10,000k 35w for my lows, i was planning on the 10,000k lows and like a white 8,000k highs... but i dont know now
Old 07-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

Highs are not worth it unless you live out in BFE IMO.. I have to flip mine on and off a lot on the highways I run. The warm up sort of kills it.

I have HIDs, no issue with inspection in TX.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:55 PM

Zekkal, just make sure not to use your HID high beams in oncoming traffic or while following someone else. and honestly you dont need HID for the highs.

DTN, i know our lo beams are ok for HID use... but what about passing inspections, how can i get around it ? do they make inspection ready HID kits, or just DOT approved kits.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:21 PM

Zekkal, as per your PM about people flashing you, adjust your headlights using this pic and numbers. perhaps since you just got your tib, the previous owner had them maladjusted.

Dotted lines in the illustration show center of headlights.

"H" : Horizontal center line of headlights from ground. 23.3 in (593 mm : With driver)

"W" : Distance between each headlight center. 42.1 in (1070 mm)

"L" : Distance between the headlights and the wall that the lights are tested against. 118.11 in (3,000 mm)
Attached Images
File Type: gif
YT60500A.gif (2.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 07-08-2011, 06:32 PM

Vehicle: 84 VW Rabbit, 01 Audi A8L, 08 VW GTI

@ Loneshark

thanks man, imma have to do that when i get the HID's in... i got flashed the first day i had my Silverstar Ultra's in.

@ Wytchdctr i do live in BFE, the closest town (churubusco) is 10 miles away and i get no cell reception in that town, im still runnin Dial Up internet, cuz 3G dosent have good enough signal

i only get cell reception in certain parts of my house, none in basement, 2nd floor is best 2-3 bars Max out of 7 bars
Old 07-08-2011, 06:47 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Originally Posted by Zekkal
@ Loneshark

thanks man, imma have to do that when i get the HID's in... i got flashed the first day i had my Silverstar Ultra's in.

@ Wytchdctr i do live in BFE, the closest town (churubusco) is 10 miles away and i get no cell reception in that town, im still runnin Dial Up internet, cuz 3G dosent have good enough signal

i only get cell reception in certain parts of my house, none in basement, 2nd floor is best 2-3 bars Max out of 7 bars

You don't want HIDs for high beams. They take too long to warm up and they don't have the same light pattern as standard bulbs. You will loose your ability to flash, and if you do flash, then you will burn out the HIDs much quicker. I would not use them for high beams.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:51 PM

good point there DTN and WytchDctr, i forgot about the warm up...
Old 07-08-2011, 08:31 PM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Accent

Im rocking switchback LED turn signals.

6k HID's

No catalytic converter

Illegal window tint

Not 6 inch frame clearance from the ground

And I passed PA inspection flawlessly

Just gotta know people