Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Just bought a 98 Tibby with a I think a bad Auto tranny?

Old 07-06-2010, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998
Thumbs up Just bought a 98 Tibby with a I think a bad Auto tranny?

As stated, just bought this 98 Tiburon with a tranny issue for $400. Reverse doesn't work. It'll drive fine in 1st then shifts real hard into 2nd and when it should be shifting into 3rd it acts as if it is in neutral. I can rev the engine and it won't go. Just acts like like am coasting and in neutral. The car has 140K.

Are these cars known for automatic issues and if so, how many miles do they seem to last? I bought the car for my wife so she could have a nicer car with the hopes I could fixes the tranny or swap it out for a good one. What years will swap and does any other model also have the same tranny? I tried to find other topics in this forum to answer my questions but nothing I found described having the same problem.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

is the engine a 1.8 or 2.0?

The automatics are known to be bad. My first one lasted 62,000 miles and the second lasted 63,000 miles. The first was replaced under warranty.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:50 PM

Dang.. this isn't sounding good..

It has the 2.0L. So I should maybe look into having the trans rebuilt then? or??

Are there other makes and/or models I could score a trans out of?

Thanks

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (majikTib @ Jul 6 2010, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>is the engine a 1.8 or 2.0?

The automatics are known to be bad. My first one lasted 62,000 miles and the second lasted 63,000 miles. The first was replaced under warranty.</div>
Old 07-06-2010, 08:14 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Rd auto trans are notoriously poor. A lot of people would say swap to a manual (like I did) however, since I'm thinking you aren't really going for a speed demon here and just something nice to drive you might want to have the auto trans rebuilt. If that's too much try to find a lower miles transmission from a 97-99 Tiburon. DO NOT get one from 00-01. These require changing some of the sensors for it to work. And 03 and up are even harder if not impossible to make it work. Also whatever you do make sure you fill the trans with Hyundai Auto Trans Fluid ONLY.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Administrator

I confirm - use only Hyundai auto trans fluid. I think SP-III is what they were recommending, but only use Hyundai
Old 07-06-2010, 09:22 PM

Thanks again. I will definitely use the recommend fluids and parts. My wife just likes autos better. So I go with it. smile.gif

What do you think the chances are the tranny can be flushed out and such to be brought back to life or is it just too late?

I am also guessing I will need to find a tranny from out of a 97-99 Tiburon Only then? No other models will have the same transmission?

I plan to start making calls tomorrow. If worse comes to worse I'll have the transmission from the car rebuilt. Hope there are some quality upgrades to help prolong the life of the tranny..

Again, thanks everyone. I really appreciate it. I have been on some other forums before where the people have not always been helpful and curious. This is refreshing. smile.gif
Old 07-06-2010, 09:44 PM

From what I'm hearing it sounds like it's too late. If you really want to give it a shot go ahead. Hyundai ATF runs about $7-8 a quart. It is cheaper than a rebuild, but it's a gamble.

As far as getting an auto trans out of another Hyundai vehicle I am not too sure. You could possibly get one out of an Elantra but be careful. Elantra's are typically a year or so ahead so make sure the trans are the same. Sadly the auto trans aren't like the 5spd where you can basically pull them out of any Tib or Elantra and it will work.

As for prolonging the life of the new trans. GET A TRANS COOLER. The stock one runs the fluid too hot. So an additional cooler will do you very well. So basically Hyundai ATF and a trans cooler should do you well with the new trans. And of course flush it at the recommended intervals.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:38 PM

Seems it is $2,700 of a re-man trans from Hyundai or $2,800 for a new one. Another $1100 for a new Torque Converter. Hmmm..
Maybe it is time to consider a 5spd swap and get my wife something else..

Any recommended links on this site to read up on for the procedure of swapping in a 5spd?

Thanks
Old 07-07-2010, 12:45 PM

I did my swap for the price of that torque converter you mentioned wink.gif

There are DIYs on RDT but since they are merging with HA it'll be on here soon. Either way I'll get you the links. Stocker and Loneshark have DIYs and I made a parts list.

Here's mine: http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...mp;hl=swap+list
Lonesharks http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...ersion&st=0
Stockers: http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?s...ic=28299&st=0v

For the most part it is very straight forward. COULD be done in a weekend.

Oh just to add.... CEL free and my cruise still works.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Administrator

I swapped my auto to a 5spd with a friend's help over the weekend. The write-ups are pretty good. I followed Loneshark's guide.

Check local junk yards, you can probably find an auto for under $500.