Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Jet Performance Chip #65002

Old 07-17-2013, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Jet Performance Chip #65002

Hi there,

I've been looking for performance chip upgrades for my, car 2001 Tiburon, and i found this the "Jet Chips 65002 Computer Upgrade Package" for ~$266 from Jet Performance Products. First question, anyone have any experience from this? I've heard mixed reviews from this chip upgrade. Ranging from reviews that it actually works, as in gains of ~10 hp and ~2 mpg, from its a complete piece of crap and doesn't work. I honestly don't know, any opinions?

I also was able to find a seeming reputable dealer of chip upgrades, Powerchip group. I've actually been in contact with a very helpful employee who has been able to answer all of my questions. He says that with the chip upgrade, there should be an increase in hp by about 12-16 hp and an increase by about 13-15 ft-lb of torque. Now i've actually been able to find a lot of good reviews about this upgrade. The only thing is that i would have to switch from regular to premium fuel and, it would cost well over $600. Anyone here anything about the Powerchip upgrade? And is the switch from regular to premium fuel worth it/high price?

Andrew
Old 07-17-2013, 12:04 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

What are you performance goals? Because if you just want to flush $2-300 down the crapper I can give you a hand doing that.

I'd much more suggest buying something that will work though.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Yeah, I wouldn't. Don't get fooled.

Why don't you post up all performance mods you currently have and I'm sure you will get some suggestions on products that will truly compliment what you already have.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:12 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for responding so quickly! I'm not sure if these all count but i'll just go ahead and list all the modifications I've done personally.

-NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs

-NGK XX90 Premium Spark Plug Wire Set

-Bosal Muffler

-AEM Cold Air Intake

I was also thinking of putting on a Magnaflow Direct Fit Catalytic Converter. The only reason i wanted to find a chip or upgrade my ECU is because i heard that when you make these types of modifications to your car, CAI or new exhaust system, in order to prevent your car from running lean or rich you have to adjust your fuel to air ratios to accommodate from the upgrades.

Really no good words from Jet Performance? Powerchip can go f*ck themselves but, i was hoping Jet Performance could hook me up.

Andrew
Old 07-17-2013, 01:12 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for responding so quickly! I'm not sure if these all count but i'll just go ahead and list all the modifications I've done personally.

-NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs

-NGK XX90 Premium Spark Plug Wire Set

-Bosal Muffler

-AEM Cold Air Intake

I was also thinking of putting on a Magnaflow Direct Fit Catalytic Converter. The only reason i wanted to find a chip or upgrade my ECU is because i heard that when you make these types of modifications to your car, CAI or new exhaust system, in order to prevent your car from running lean or rich you have to adjust your fuel to air ratios to accommodate from the upgrades.

Really no good words from Jet Performance? Powerchip can go f*ck themselves but, i was hoping Jet Performance could hook me up.

As far as performance goals i was hoping to get a little more HP at medium to lower rmps and better gas mileage, basically better acceleration without pushing the rpms.

Since i put on the cold air intake i've been getting 30-31+ mgp and i was hoping to also get more. Since i have a 14.5 gallon tank, if i were to get at least 35 mpg i could theoretically get 500+ miles per tank. Personally i think the cai was a good investment but i'm trying to push my mpg further while still having an enjoyable ride.

Thanks again!

Andrew
Old 07-17-2013, 02:55 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

Next step IMO is a catback exhaust/ header. It will be louder but if you get quality stuff it won't sound like crap. I would recommend the Megan equal length header and unfortunately they're arn't many options on the exhaust.

There are a few apex-i's around but are hard to find, they're 2.5" and a under axle design. The most common would be the motoria which is 2.25" and a over axle design. Or you can go custom with your choice of piping size/resonator/muffler.

You are not making dramatic enough upgrades to need to flash the ecu. It will compensate the extra/colder air coming in accordingly by itself, probably up until you introduce forced induction into the motor(turbo/supercharger)

And those chips are b.s. regardless how much they are. The only (safest) way to control your A/F ratio is via piggyback or standalone as far as the 97-01 tiburons go.

If your really concerned about the A/F ratio, disconnect the battery for 5 mins after every mod to reset the ecu. It will immediately adapt to the new readings as opposed to going through a few drive cycles to adapt without resetting it

As far as mpg and not really looking for performance, weight reduction is a great option. I picked up one of the stock rims the other day and was amazed how heavy it was compared to some truck wheels I lift. They make much nicer looking and much lighter wheels than factory. Less rolling resistance= more mpg

Carbon/fiberglass body products are lighter and can be painted if you dont like the look and make sure you don't have and brakes dragging and your wheel alignment is in spec.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:06 AM

Okay so I went ahead and disregarded everyone's advice and bought the upgrade package.

Okay let me first clarify something. This is NOT a chip you attach on to your MAF sensor. This is an ECU remapping, NOT a chip.

Since the upgrade I've noticed a HUGE improvement across the whole RPM band, better throttle response, more precise transmission changes, and a general improvement to overall power.

I WOULD reccommend this product to someone trying to keep their car N/A but a word of warning...this would be the FINAL stage of a performance upgrade. Meaning put on your cai, headers, exhaust, bbtb, etc BEFORE you get this upgrade.

I only have a cai but I've noticed that the remapping complements my current upgrades. It feels like I'm driving a completely different car!
Old 09-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

pic of this "ECU remapping" tool
Old 09-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Old 09-09-2013, 11:49 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Coo

Let me get one too. Afterwards I pay what ever I think it's worth.