Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Which intake/catback?

Old 02-17-2002, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which intake/catback?

After recently completing my sound system, ive decided the next logical step would be a new exhaust system consisting of intake and a catback exhaust system. My question is which intake and catback system should I get for my 2001 Tib to make it like REALLY loud but not throaty sounding like some flowmasters. Im going for that really loud sweetass racecar sound. Can anyone help me out here? Any objections to the Weapon R Dragon intake?
Old 02-17-2002, 08:37 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tib

dont get the weapon r,unless you want a short ram intake. if i was you i would get the SR cold air intake thats coming out in about a month i think. As for exhaust, you can get the MBRP exhaust from speedstate. Alot of people just find a muffler they want and have an exhaust shop put it on with a custom catback. My friend did this with his integra, he got the muffler instaled and the midpipes for $75. i think he payed $350 for the muffler.

[ February 17, 2002: Message edited by: YellowTiburon ]
Old 02-17-2002, 09:39 AM

How much is that cold air gonna runn???
I have one (a home made one) But it works great shuld i wait and buy or keep mine???
Old 02-17-2002, 11:22 AM

If you are happy with your home made one keep it! If anything take your home made CAI down to a muffler shop and have them bend you some pipe in the same shape and then take it down to a bumper repair shop and have them chrome dip it. You will then have a "Iceman91 custom CAI"!!!

It will give you some pride to know that you hand built your own car parts!

[ February 17, 2002: Message edited by: Canadian Prairie Shark ]
Old 02-18-2002, 12:18 AM

i have the speedstate and I like it. wink.gif
Old 02-18-2002, 03:19 AM

It is all chromed out all ready baby so i guess i am all ready to go tongue.gif
Old 02-18-2002, 05:15 AM

im putting a dynomax racemagnum muffler on in about a month just payin bills first. from what im told the muffler will be very loud. n e ways thats what im goin wit

i havnt got an intake yet i was waiting for AEM to come out with thiers but what does the weapon r dragon intake do for you? as in what are the benefits that it gives you? everyone told me not to get one b/c they basically suck

[ February 18, 2002: Message edited by: 4CyLofFuRy ]
Old 02-18-2002, 07:35 AM

Well here are a few contimplations:

1) With the 5 speed 2001 Tiburon 2.0 DOHC motor, isnt the 2.5" pipe diameter better than 2.25" for a cat-back?

2) I thought HVE's catback was the best on the market for the 2001 5 speed Tiburon?

Sidenote, I peronally think AEM's legandary quality proves it to be the best on the market for CAI's.
Old 02-18-2002, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The CAI question will be settled in about 30 days when Rob of HP.com does the CAI Dyno Shootout.

In regards to cat-backs, your choices are:
HVE
KORE
Speedstate
Pacesetter
Custom

If you call around to local shops, I'm sure you could get a competive price on a custom system, but it may not look as nice as the systems from KORE, HVE, Speedstate or Pacesetter.

The only problem with the "manufacturered" systems, is that you are buying their muffler. If you don't like the sound, you need to buy a new muffler, and that adds to your cost (but you can recoup some of that by selling the muffler that comes with the kit).
Old 02-18-2002, 08:00 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Originally posted by Random:

In regards to cat-backs, your choices are:
HVE
KORE
Speedstate
Pacesetter
Custom
</div>

Random, but whats the [b]BEST[b]?
I dont know about Kore because its not on the site yet. Speedstate does not make it in 2.5", so thats also a no-no. Pacesetter IMHO makes horrible products, such as their great headers
rolleyes.gif
That only leaves HVE. From the looks of it and tech. data, it seems to be perfect for the 2001 5 speed Tiburon, am I right?