Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

If you dont tell your insurance company about mods

Old 06-15-2011, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default If you dont tell your insurance company about mods

And you get into an accident...will they still cover the mods or are you out of luck because it wasnt reported? I havent told my insurance company (State Farm) about any of my mods and as far as they know...my car is 100% stock. Im afraid if I tell them, my premiums will go up or they will drop me as a client. But on the other end, if something were to happen (knock on wood), I would want my stuff replaced if possible.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

IME, they will NOT cover your mods. And if covered, even if your parts are 1 day old, they will give you far less than you paid.

When I say IME, I do mean that! I had a highly modded truck with $8k in parts very recently added. The truck got stolen and I had to fight GEICO just to get what the truck was actually worth. I didn't get jack for the $8k in parts. $8k down the drain. I got royally screwed in every which way beyond that too. I even gave them pictures and receipts of everything installed. Don't believe what people tell you about that. It's a myth. Ask them yourself!!!

You need to ask yourself if you really want to be compensated for your parts. If so, then you need to get the coverage for them. And get "agreed value", not "fair market" or depreciated value which most do.

Or, keep your car alarmed with pager, GPS tracking, and carry a gun when you're paged. I'm doing this now because I don't know of any insurance that covers the parts we put on our cars.

Again, don't believe what people tell you about insurance companies. They're all different. Ask the questions yourself!

Oh yea, and F GEICO!!!!!
Old 06-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Originally Posted by JonGTR
Oh yea, and F GEICO!!!!!

I was with Geico for YEARS. Only had 1 claim in the all the years with them, which was for something small, paid my policies in full every time they renewed, and basically was a model customer for them. The second they found out my car had modifications on it, they canceled my policy on the tib and Jeep (the Jeep was bone stock). They also said I will never be allowed to have policy in my name through them in the future.

I'm with Progressive now, and if you want your mods covered....you have to take out a special policy for them. Usually its classified under as a show vehicle, or classic vehicle. Otherwise, they will only cover OEM parts in case of an accident.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Originally Posted by JonGTR
Or, keep your car alarmed with pager, GPS tracking, and carry a gun when you're paged. I'm doing this now because I don't know of any insurance that covers the parts we put on our cars.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

what mods do you have? When I had Progressive, I paid an extra $10 for every $1,000 of aftermarket parts coverage. That was about 8 years ago though.

If it's factory replacement parts, don't tell them as you'll get reimbursed for factory parts at potentially higher prices. If it's an audio system, I'd rather take the risk of it getting stolen and replace it later with my own cash.