Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

How do you make a mold for bodykits or lips?

Old 03-28-2011, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 Tibby
Default How do you make a mold for bodykits or lips?

Im begining the first stages of creating my own classy and not over the top lip, made out of foam and fiberglass. I have started to shave the foam into the shape I want and will then go on to layering fiberglass over it and finishing it. My question is, once its on my car and I take pics and if people like it...I would want to mass produce it. How do these companies that sell body kits make a mold? I figured making a mold to inject fiberglass into it versus hand shaping foam for each order, would be much easier. Can someone explain the process of creating molds? Thanks.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you really have to ask this question, it is way, way, WAY out of your league. There is a reason cheap body kits don't fit right; that reason is that it is difficult to get a mold right.

Practice on something simpler first, after doing some searching on how to work with fiberglass in general. I recommend you do NOT make a front lip your first glass project, or even your fifth, unless you are haaaaaard headed enough to see it through to the bitter end.

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, just a heads up.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

learn on the forums at fiberglast.com for some reason alot of guys on there do the older z-24 cavaliers. just plain nuts what some of them have done.