Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Hood Removal/Replacement?

Old 02-08-2016, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Hood Removal/Replacement?

Can anyone help me with this one? I can't find a DIY for it yet and I've heard it's not as simple as taking it off and putting it back on.

So. My next project on restoring this little 2000 tib is replacing the hood. One of the previous owners didn't take very good care of it and an untreated rust spot turned into a big issue. There's about a half dollar sized area of bubbling in the paint and if you look on the other side it's completely rusted through. It's right over the hood latch so it's only going to take so much more before the latch and hood spot just breaks. It's already cracking. I'm doing so much under the hood right now that staying out of the engine bay isn't something that can happen lol.

These hoods are expensive. Even junked ones. So I'm going to go with a cool aftermarket carbon fiber one found here: http://aerokits.net/cart/index.php?m...oducts_id=3403

I'll paint it myself but I'm not sure what the procedure is to uninstall the stock and reinstall the new.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 02-08-2016, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

It's just 4 bolts that you undo and the hood comes right off. When you lift it, you'll see the hood hinges by the firewall/wiper cowl on each side of the car. There's 2 bolts on each hinge. You'll probably need a friend to help you move it off and install the new one. But it should literally take you less than 5 minutes to do it.

ektFEzA.jpg
Old 02-08-2016, 01:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Putting it back on requires some tweaking. Leave the bolts loose and close it slowly to test alignment against the fenders. Then torque them down.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

You may have some windshield spray nozzle hose to deal with. It's not hard; I've R&R'd my hood by myself.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Appreciated it guys. I wasn't sure. I thought there was a certain way to reinstall that made it difficult. If that's the case then I'll just paint and install myself. Hopefully/should be easy enough lol.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I would strongly recommend hood pins with a CF hood.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Accent

I agree. My cf hood flew up, snapped the hinges, and went tumbling into the sky once.