Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Help Troubleshooting

Old 11-17-2007, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, I bought a brand new set of plug wires and plugs. My old ones were done in had alot of miles on them. I put them on, started up the car and the idle was shakey. I thoguht there might of been something faulty with my new ones. So i switched back to the old ones and same thing, the idle was shakey. Maybe i mixed up the order i installed them on? I don't know how. But then when i was switching back to the plugs i had before i noticed they were really black, as if they were chared. I looked up a few things on HMA it says they turn black due to a Rich fuel mixture. This makes me think it might have something to do with my intake/sensores. I live in Canada and i have a CAI on the car its not winter yet theres no snow but it's starting to get nippy out. Is the cold weather messing with my fuel mixture making it run to rich?

There is no CEL. which makes me think the whole faulty sensore thing is out of the question. The only ideas I have left are that i mxied up the plug wires order? or my cold air is messing with my mixture if you guys have any ideas that would be great...An added note there is really white smoke out the exhaust, which makes me think that it does have something to do with my fuel mixture.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:02 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

ONly thing that could really throw that off would be you MAF or possibly your first O2 sensor. Check out webtech for how to test you MAF. The new plugs, when you took them out, were they black at all yet?
Old 11-17-2007, 01:08 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

1. check wiring order.
2. check if you connect everything tightly

black spark plugs may be also from short distance or a lot of low RPM driving (like in traffic jams). to self-clean spark plugs you need to drive at high RPMs some times.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:10 PM

yes the plugs are black already my new ones only had them in a few minutes (running). and what order should my plug wires be in, from left to right on the cylinder and back to front on the coil. Il test the MAF later, but it should be fine i havn't touched it.

Couldn't find the edit button so i gotta double post i appolagize, just an update on the situation.

Went out and had a second look around the car, im new to a tib and this is the first time ive had a really good look in the engine bay but there is NO coolant in my engine colent container under my hood and the hose seems to go nowhere on one end not sure if this is correct? pic below this would make sense of the car blowing white smoke as it would be burning coolant. Why it would be burning coolant i don't know.

Also there is an orange plug by my firewall behind my throrttle body that isnt connected to anything i have no idea what its for.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:26 PM

That plug goes nowhere. And the coolant line you have there is to dump the overflow. You should have some in the container though.

And edit button goes away after a short period of time unless you become a premier member. Double posts within 24 hours autmatically merge! fing02.gif

How many miles on your car?
Old 11-17-2007, 03:28 PM

just over 70,000 miles
Old 11-17-2007, 03:30 PM

Fill up your coolant anyway. I was thinking a possible head gasket but you should be good. Fill it up and run the car. Check for leaks and see if your radiator is full. Tomorrow Im going to do a flush on mine and Ill post up a DIY for you guys.