Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Help! Starting Issue..

Old 04-19-2005, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib

ok so im driving down the road and then i realized only half my speakers are working, everything else's working fine. i just got done with some stereo stuff so i figured id pull over check all the connections, i shut the car off but left the key on and flicked my lights off, as soon as i did that all the speakers worked again. lights back on and the speakers stayed on too.
so that was weird (not sure if it's even related to the problem?).. got back home and stayed here for like 20 minutes, now i get in my car to leave and it doesn't start. it won't even turn over. i get dash lights and stuff, but it's like the battery doesn't have enough juice ..
weirdest thing is that if i try to start it, it won't do anything and then if i let go of the key it will go back in the on position and all my electronics work (except my lights..) if i let it sit in that position after trying to start it and it doesnt turn over, it stays with everything running for about 5 seconds then i hear a sort of click or just a noise and then all the lights dim and its like someone disconnected my battery everything shuts off but comes back on immediately (note that none of my settings like the time on the clock does NOT get reset when this happens) then 5 seconds later i hear a click and it does it again...this is when key is in on position after trying to start it and it doesn't turn over at all.
battery connections are tight .. and it's raining so i don't want to have to mess with it but i have to leave! soon!
Old 04-19-2005, 05:51 PM

Usually when this happens it is the alternator going bad because when the car is on the Alt is powering the battery which is then powering everything else. If the alt is slowly dieing you wont keep a charge and you will run out of juice quite quick.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:54 PM

why does it keep like resetting, and i hear a sort of click everytime it does?
i just had the alternator rebuilt less than a few months ago..if the alternator woulda went i would have noticed some symptoms before....and the battery would have enough juice left for at least one start. i ran off of my battery for like 3 days last time the alternator went. a good battery has enough juice to start the vehicle, that means it would turn over but once it got started would be running completely off of the battery. it's not turning over at all.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:00 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Well, considering you said half your speakers stopped working while driving, it has to be the alt or the alt-battery connection (check the fuses).

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

If it clicks your battery is dead. Jump start that sucker.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Casper @ Apr 20 2005, 12:00 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well, considering you said half your speakers stopped working while driving, it has to be the alt or the alt-battery connection (check the fuses).
<div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>
but i flicked the lights off and back on and they started working again...that's odd.

it SHOULD turn over somewhat?
and why does everything keep like "resetting"
Old 04-19-2005, 06:02 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

^^^^^^^^^^^

Read what I posted.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:05 PM

Flicking off the lights free'd up some power (the headlights take 55watts each).

Everything is resetting because the battery is so dead, when you turn on your accessories it draws ALL the power left from the battery so there is no power for the clock & radio memory.

Check the alt-battery power line... there should be a 100 amp fuse between it. If the fuse is good, the alt is dead.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:12 PM

where's the alt-battery line fuse?

tanc why would it keep resetting itself, and wtf happened with my speakers while driving (assuming it's just the battery dead.)

casper turning the lights off freed power i understand that, but when i turned the lights back on the speakers continued to work (all)

and how could the battery go dead 20 mins after i just got done driving (no i did not leave the lights or anything on)? granted i only drove for about 10, but that should have charged the battery...that is what the stupid alternator's there for.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:34 PM

Fuse A (Generator)

Power works weird. After freeing up the power, the speakers turned back on. Then turning the lights back on also drew power. If your speakers didn't hit hard (or you turned the radio down) it could of still maintained a level of power to keep working.

For an example, lookup info on Apollo 13. They had to turn on power to different parts of the ship in a certain order not to overload the circuits. Devices have a working load and a startup load which are different.

A 20 minute drive on a battery not being charged (with lights & radio on) can kill a battery. It depends how full the battery was to start (depends on when the alt died). Also, turning a car over takes an enormous amount of power (thats why batterys are rated in hundreds of cold cranking amps).

There is a lot that can explain it... do us a favor... check that fuse and replace if bad. If not, charge your battery and drive to pepboys or somewhere and have them check your alternator.