Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Help me decide my next suspension setup

Old 08-23-2013, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 84 VW Rabbit, 01 Audi A8L, 08 VW GTI
Default Help me decide my next suspension setup

How about a Suspension Picture thread, I need a new suspension for my Tib i keep saying it but I think its finally time for it to happen.

So post up some pics of your wheel gaps and what your suspension setup is, to help me decide.

I'm well aware that you can adjust coils to a desired height so if you have coils post up a pic and what you think of them.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:26 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

My Setup:

Megan Coilovers

NEW tie rod ends

NEW lower front control arms

NEW front hub

new-to-me junkyard knuckles

POR 15 coating on all OEM goodies

XG350 (2005) calipers

XG350 12" rotors (drilled to 4x114.3)

17" Maxxim Grip

Front tires = 205/45/17 Nitto Neo Gen Very shitty tire.

Back tires = 205/45/17 Nexxen N3000 Not as shitty, but very loud on this suspension.

(pay for real tires. I regret these very much. Next time going with some 215s as well.)

coming soon:

Adjustable end links

front and back sway bar

Front and back strut tower (have the front, getting the bar CF wrapped for more pretties. The rear bar yet to be fabbed.)

pics:

New ride:

Need moar low, but shitty driveway (as you can see) so that's whats it is for now.

Very much loving the new setup.

I have the front set to 6 (1 or zero, I forget which, is the stiffest) back set to 11, out of 35. The roads around here aren't bad at all so it's been a blast.

Going to swap the front seat for something static soon, and when I get the rear bar fabbed, work on a functinal mount for DOT 4-pointers
Old 08-24-2013, 09:14 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

My plan for the X3

-Zerg fittings on poly front LCA bushes

-New OEM rubber sway bar bushes

-Increase rear spring stiffness and ride height a smidge

-Custom valved shock absorbers

-Adjustable camber tops for at least the fronts

-QFM A1RM brake pads up front, new OEM drum linings out back with fluid flush

-Model the actual suspension geometry, CofG location, and spring rates so I can set an appropriate ride height and new spring rate

The overall aim is to remove friction, just barely engage tripod mode, and get everything properly damped. Mmmmm, can't wait.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:07 PM

Here's the deal.

Right now I'm debating on a set of Megan Racing coils or KYB/H&R Setup. I love the adjustability of the coils on my GTI. I wont be tracking the Tiburon or trying to take corners as fast as possible. Just a daily cruiser, save some gas money and look good while I do it. So I am leaning towards the KYB/H&R set.

I have found a set of 16x8 ET12 wheels and have a few sets of 205/55/16 tires to go with them, I may need lower profile tires. Then I'll use the Faded/rashed OEM wheels with 195/60/15 snow tires in the winter.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:59 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Depends, how stiff and damped are the megan coils? KYB struts are really just OEM replacements, so they won't be that effective with stiffer lowering springs, but cheap coilovers are notoriously too hard and harshly damped.

I vote H&R/KYB
Old 08-26-2013, 02:20 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

If all you want is stance, coilovers are way overkill. I'd save the money and just invest in some good struts and lower springs. I like the performance of mine very much. It's really brought the car to life! But if you're not going to drive the hell out of it, seems like a waste.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:46 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

I was on eibach pro dampers with pro kit springs, amazing ride. Drop was just right, 1.3"ish all around after sag.

Unfortunately eibach stopped making pro dampers for the tiburon a long time ago.

I would go with kyb/eibach myself. H&r is a 2" drop iirc and seems too much for a daily, I rubbed tires over certain bumps on my setup, but that was my 17's running a 215
Old 08-26-2013, 08:44 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Tiburón GT

On my black RD1 I had Vogtland springs and KYB GR2 struts. VERY good ride quality with a 1.4" drop all around. The springs are made in Germany and are common on MB an BMW scene.

On my GK I've had H&R springs with KYB and it was very firm. Somewhat harsh over rough roads. I've also had Megan street coilovers and it felt like a gokart. Right now I'm on racelands and they are okay, it rides similar to the h&r kyb combo. My car is really low. Not stanced though. Although I do have a spare set of aggressive offset wheels. I am on my "conservative" offset wheels atm.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:37 PM

Ok so any suggestions on where to buy H&R or Vogtland Springs?

I found The Vogtland springs on Momodirect.com and the H&R Springs on Raceinspired.com

I'm getting the Struts from work, cheapest route I can find so far.

Replacing the Rear calipers, Rotors and pads this weekend, Thanks to [member=capn tibs] for the Calipers then gonna order 2 of the 16x8 wheels for a testfit and to see how I like them.

Also got a Recaro seat out of a MKIV GLI tonight. Needs restitched around the Bolster and a good cleaning. So I'm going to have a buddy repair it. Possible retrofit in the future

What good is a thread without pics so here is the Seat right now.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:44 PM

Vehicle: RD1

See mine. It is H&R Touring Cup kit (springs + shocks). It was settled more after that photo was made but it didn't become too low. Now, I can put tightly my fingers straight onto the front tire and there is no gap between my fingers and the fender. Probably the gap between the tire and the fender less what I feel with my hands. *note: my fingers are thin and long