Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Help An Elantra With The Same Heart As A Tibby?

Old 09-14-2008, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys.
From reading in the discussion i am positive the 1,8 cams will work but not sure on the ECU though.
I have recieved my ported head, intake and exhaust manifold from engineering company.
I just want to ask a few questions before assembly.
The whole engine will be redone at 198000km because its burning oil (Like 3L for 10000km). I get the OEM parts for free.
My Chrome Tail Pipe would become black with deposits within a week. I dont think thats Normal.
I had CAI, bigger exhaust, No CAT. Here in South Africa can get away with it...

1. I have an ecu. Its from a map 1,8 elantra J2 '98 (MAP). My car is a elantra 2.0 J3 '99(MAP).
Will this work? My engine should be the same as the tiburons in those years.

2. When i felt the cylinder wallls it looks like it is been fine grinded vertically away. Is this because of particles getting through my CAI?
So i am getting it resleeved and fitted with original pistons and replacing the rings.
Is this the right thing to do? Or should i go oversized.
3. I am also doing the 1,8 intake camshaft swop. My mechanic told me that the cam caps of the 1,8l engines
should be used. Are the 2.0 and 1.8 cam caps the same or different? Is this guy F***ing with me???
4. Any advice on what to do? Or Change since i get free Engine Parts.
Right now this is the Parts: Gasket Set, Piston rings(2.0 STD),Crank
and Con Rod Bearings STD, Filters, Hydraulic lifters all 16. The timing belt Idler and Tensioner were already changed at 190 000Km.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 09-16-2008, 08:47 AM

Bump...
44 views and no reply? Is it cos im a Elantra drillsergeant.gif
Old 09-16-2008, 09:19 AM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

Well the reason he is telling you to use the capse from the 1.8 is because of the wear patern that the caps and cam have. if you are going with a brand new 1.8 then use new caps. if it is used try and get the capse that were on that engine. If you cant get those capse just get new caps.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:34 AM

Hey Thanks for that..
It is new intake cam that i got for free but the camshaft caps there is no stock...
I dont think i could ever get them new.
So we using the new cam with the old cam caps from a 1,8 head.
Hope it works.

Any other answers to my questions in first post?

Thanks mate!
Old 09-17-2008, 09:38 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

1. I have an ecu. Its from a map 1,8 elantra J2 '98 (MAP). My car is a elantra 2.0 J3 '99(MAP).

<span style="color:#FF0000">should be fine everyone here with 2.0l uses a 1.8ecu so i would assume your good there</span>

2. When i felt the cylinder wallls it looks like it is been fine grinded vertically away. Is this because of particles getting through my CAI?
So i am getting it resleeved and fitted with original pistons and replacing the rings.

<span style="color:#FF0000">i would highly doubt that it was from particles coming through your CAI. if anything it could be something that is in the oil. i dont know enough to tell you about your piston issue though. if it were me i would just buy a used beta2 engine for alot cheaper and just throw it in there.</span>

3. I am also doing the 1,8 intake camshaft swop. My mechanic told me that the cam caps of the 1,8l engines
should be used. Are the 2.0 and 1.8 cam caps the same or different? Is this guy F***ing with me???

<span style="color:#FF0000">
when i took mine into get my 1.8l cam my mechanic at the time never said anything about it and i never noticed any diffrence, so i'm assuming he used the caps in my engine and only changed the cam. if you give it the proper break in period it should become properly worn after a few hundred miles</span>

and Con Rod Bearings STD, Filters, Hydraulic lifters all 16. The timing belt Idler and Tensioner were already changed at 190 000Km.
<span style="color:#FF0000">
i have no clue here again man, but if noone else is answering its because they most likely dont know OR they arent certain enough to post something. good luck with your problem man, i'm sure you will get her going again.</span>
Old 09-17-2008, 10:40 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Elantra 2000

optimoprime gave you good answers but I'll still try to answer anyway! wink1.gif

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (daneeboy83 @ Sep 15 2008, 12:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>1. I have an ecu. Its from a map 1,8 elantra J2 '98 (MAP). My car is a elantra 2.0 J3 '99(MAP).

<span style="color:#FF0000">First, your car is a J2, there is no such thing as a J3 wink1.gif And as optimoprime said, it'll work perfectly</span>

<span style="color:#FF0000">again as optimoprime said it's probably something in your oil, as for going oversize it depends on the damaged, can't help you there </span>

<span style="color:#FF0000">2.0 and 1.8 cam caps are the same, maybe he has a good reason to want them changed??</span>

<span style="color:#FF0000">Same as optimoprime, I don't know but looks like a good rebuild ...</span></div>
Old 09-18-2008, 08:44 AM

Hey Guys.
Thanks for the good good read.
I was just thinking since there is a good and a bad ECU for the MAF Model tibs.
Do you think there is a good and bad ECU for the map based cars?

I do have the part no. if they will help
For now i have the part no. for the one currently in the car has 2 part no. 39140-23590 top and below it 39150-23580.

Also i am Korean living in South Africa. I was wondering which is better for tuning UNI-CHIP OR SMT-6?
Im sure i can get support for both here..
My family is operating a HYUNDAI SPARES here so i am working for my dad...
And so i was wondering if i can get my hands on turbo manifold that is a replica of the one from system upgrade would anyone be interested?
I am not making it myself. My dad has a contact that he can use.
4-2-1 or 4-1 branches can also be made but ill need a sample.
That is because i have a new system upgrade turbo manifold.
If another is on demand i can also have it made. Just i need 1 sample...

Anyways just wanted to know.
The price will be around minimum $300 that would be without shipment.. Dont hold me to it.
Stainless finish...

Just a thought.
Thanks Guys
Old 09-18-2008, 10:26 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

I do have the part no. if they will help
For now i have the part no. for the one currently in the car has 2 part no. 39140-23590 top and below it 39150-23580.

<span style="color:#FF0000">THEY ARE ALL THE SAME TO MY KNOWLEDGE FOR MAP CARS</span>

Also i am Korean living in South Africa. I was wondering which is better for tuning UNI-CHIP OR SMT-6?
Im sure i can get support for both here..
My family is operating a HYUNDAI SPARES here so i am working for my dad...
And so i was wondering if i can get my hands on turbo manifold that is a replica of the one from system upgrade would anyone be interested?
I am not making it myself. My dad has a contact that he can use.

<span style="color:#FF0000">i would love for that to be the case but i'll believe it when i see it. at least once every few months someone says they could get this or that made and it never happens</span>
Old 09-19-2008, 12:47 AM

Guys i know that this is the case with many people on this site.
They say they can get it made and then no one can do it.
The only difference between me and them is that i am already in the trade.
The Air rams??? I can also have those made..
Most probably at better prices.

But i dont have an Air ram...
But do have the system upgrade exhaust manifold and diffuser.
So maybe i will get those made.
But is there a demand???
Old 09-19-2008, 08:43 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Elantra 2000

SMT-6

as for the manifold I'm not sure, there is a lot of solutions out there but the AIR-RAM would be a good thing, as soon as there is an AIR-RAM for sale here people are fighting to get it! lol