Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

HELP! 01 Tiburon won't start, still turns over

Old 09-21-2012, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

When the timing belt went on my 2000 tiburon it just stopped running and when i took the top cover off looked fine, when i took the bottom off it had stripped about seven inches of the belt. i had one of the worse case scenarios and had to have the head redone. i can honestly say i wish i would have just dropped a different engine or a new head in my car.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

That would possibly be an easier fix, and almost cheaper. Grab a newer engine from a junk yard for $500 and swap it if necessary.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:21 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Doesn't sound like a cheap fix ahead! I'll pull the bottom timing belt cover off tonight to see how it looks. How do you access the bottom? Can you get to it through the passenger wheel well?

So am I correct in thinking the timing belt should be spinning when you try to turn over the engine?

And how hard is it to see if valves are bent? Do just pull the valve cover off?
Old 09-21-2012, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Getting the lower cover off is a PITA but doable. If the belt is that loose, try to shuffle it around by hand until you have inspected the whole thing if you just want to see if the teeth are all there.

I made a DIY for setting the timing. If you are EXTREMELY fortunate, this is all you need to do. IF it only skipped enough teeth to lose compression, but NOT enough to crash the intake valves into the pistons, you MIGHT be good. Check the tensioner. If it's close to due, install a new one while you're in there. Also a water pump.

www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/topic/50298-diy-setting-engine-camshaft-valve-timing/

Is the embed link code not working? copy/paste the above URL
Old 09-22-2012, 02:01 PM

I'll try to get to the lower side of the timing belt tonight. Hopefully you don't have to pull all the pulleys and engine mount just to see the bottom belt. Is it okay to spin the camshaft and crankshaft pulleys clockwise to see if it all moves freely? Just to make sure it isn't seized.

How do you check if the valves are good or bent?
Old 09-22-2012, 04:41 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

yes you can turn it. you'd pretty much have to remove the head to see a bent valve.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:04 AM

So I was able to pull the belt around and it was missing 14 ribs, about a 6" section. So now I'm wondering, is it worth the effort to replace the timing belt and pulleys? I wish there was a way to check the valves easily. So is the head/valves toward the bottom of the engine? You'd have to pull the valve cover, camshaft, header and everything to get to it?

I removed the spark plugs and it was still very hard to manually turn the camshaft pulley. I had to use a breaker bar to spin the thing clockwise. And when I lined up the timing marks (up hole with red dot behind it) the pistons weren't lined up like I thought they'd be. The two middle pistons were at the top and the two side pistons were near the bottom. I just looked in the spark plug holes with a flashlight. Isn't cylinder #1 the furthest passenger side? Of course this is probably due to the bottom camshaft pulley being out of timing. I didn't get to that pulley since you have to remove the motor mount and everything to get to it.

Man this sucks. What to do...
Old 09-23-2012, 07:29 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Buy a new motor.

If you are that far out of timing I'm willing to bet the valves are destroyed. Cylinders and cylinder walls are probably damaged too. I wouldn't invest in any parts until you pull the head to be sure. On the bright side, if everything looks ok in there, you'll have a new head gasket too.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:25 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

Hmm, don't believe me??..buy another motor then... (and people wonder why I don't give advice, this is why) waste of time typing if its just ignored...

\
Old 09-23-2012, 03:35 PM

I didn't ignore you. I'm asking what you have to pull to get to the valves. Pulling the head means nothing to me. I don't know what the head is. What are the pistons supposed to be at when at top dead center?

I already ordered a timing belt kit...if I replace it and the engine starts up fine, am I good to go? If I get lucky enough that is. Is there anything else I should check if the engine does start?

If worse comes to worse I'll probably just sell the car for what I can and get a different car. Not sure I have the time or money to swap engines. Plus it probably wouldn't be California legal after that since the vin numbers wouldn't match.