Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Headers..

Old 01-28-2005, 05:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers..

it 41 mm good for headers? cause there are some on ebay for 175....
Old 01-28-2005, 09:32 AM

if that header is from SSA, beware..... I heard that i doesn't fit corretly in the CAT... is like 2" shorter.... let me check....
Old 01-28-2005, 10:43 AM

Default headers

a 4-1 header is good for like highway racing and 4-2-1 is better for drag right?
Old 01-28-2005, 10:48 AM

From what I have heard, 4-1 is good for a manual because it gives you improved power in higher RPMs, and 4-2-1 is good for automatic because you get the power in lower RPMs.

chef3.gif
Old 01-28-2005, 10:58 AM

I have always seen the 4-2-1 header as being a better choice for our cars, our cars make more torque in the lower and mid range than in the upper rpm and this is where the 4-2-1 helps out the most so you can take the power advantage you allready have and make it even better, the 4-1 header increases your upper rpm power but will reduce your lower end power, this is good if you have a set of larger cams that change the power band to a higher rpm but if your running the stock cams the 4-1 header is a mismatch and any power you gain in the upper rpm will make you break even compared to the power lost in your lower rpm. When building a motor you wanna put the parts together so they all build power in the same range to acheive the highest peak power output, like putting together a puzzle, if the pieces don't match, it's not gonna do anything for you.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:02 AM

well i plan on having a cat back, air ram, BBTB and the 1.8l cam within a year, so what would you suggest? 4-2-1?
Old 01-28-2005, 12:45 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Tibbies lose all form of torque after 5000. I think they hit peak @ 3650. The only dyno I can go by safely that I've found is the AEM, so thats the one I'm using here.

For racing, a 4-1 is better for the manual because after you launch the car in first, the car is well into the upper band very fast. With an auto on stock brakes, brake torquing isn't a very effective launch. You probably can't brake launch an automatic Tibby @ more than 2000. 4-2-1 would give the low and midrange power to get it to get up in the higher RPMs faster.

For driving daily, if you want more passing power, get the 4-2-1 if your automatic or even manual. 4-1 is going to make top-end power, near 4300. You won't feel the power of a 4-1 unless your flooring it all day. 4-2-1 is more practical if you want more street driving power at the sacrifice of a few horsepower in the upper RPMs.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:49 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TiburonWao)</div><div class='quotemain'>if that header is from SSA, beware..... I heard that i doesn't fit corretly in the CAT... is like 2" shorter.... let me check....</div>

I have the SSA header and you have to get a new cat. The SSA header goes down and around underneath the engine. The stock exhaust has the cat vertically right underneath the exhaust manifold. On the SSA, you will have to place a new cat horizontally somewhere after the flex pipe. Nothing a decent muffler shop can't handle
Old 01-28-2005, 06:32 PM

Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BuuGieWuuGie)</div><div class='quotemain'>it 41 mm good for headers? cause there are some on ebay for 175....</div>

41mm, you would want to measure the port diameter bro, because if the builder has chosen to scale down the tube diameter after the ports you are going to get a rather significant restriction. For NA, match the diameter but do not oversize it.

Also, please try to post up a pic od the headers you are looking at.