Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Getting to the ECU

Old 02-06-2005, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting to the ECU

I'm in the process of installing an SMT-6 but I'm having a hell of a time getting the ECU out. I tried pulling just the harness off by lifting the metal lever up, but one side seems to be stuck on there. I already took the plastic off under the steering wheel, that gave me a bit of room. So... is there an easier way to do this?
Old 02-06-2005, 02:08 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

It's a huge pain in the ass man.

1. There is a bracket that holds the ECU onto the ECU mount. You have 3 10MM bolts you have to take off, 2 on the right, and the SERIOUS PITA one on the left.

2. The ECU HARNESS is a PITA to get off, you have to work that metal clasp loose (be careful not to bend it or break it), then there is a...

3. Brass colored phillips screw at the TIP of the plug that goes into the ECU.

Best thing to do.

1. Take off the bolts that hold the bracket on top of the ECU.

2. Take the harness off of the ECU, removing that brass screw.

3. The ECu should slide out, there may be one more 10MM in the back.

4. The ECU mount will easilly come out, 2 12MM bolts, AFTER you get the ECU out.

ALL in ALL, a PITA>
Old 02-07-2005, 04:59 PM

And... I'm done! Here's a pic of the SMT-6 with the serial cable adapter sticking out:

I don't think I had to take off most of the screws I did. If I did this again I would take off the two bolts holding the whole ecu brace to the frame, take off the brass phillips screw at the end of the ECU harness, flip up the metal bracket on the harness, then pull the harness out and start wiring. It seems like the harness won't come out because it's stuck at one side, but if you just keep pulling up on the harness side that is loose it will come out, there is a plastic nub on the other end holding on.

Now, to tuning wink1.gif