Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

General Questions

Old 11-20-2006, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been reading a lot of the site as well as a lot of the DiY's and I had a few real newbish questions, so please bear with me, I am completely new to this stuff.

I was looking at some of the LED DiY's to light up your interior, and I was wondering, how exactly do you power the LED's? I understand it would vary depending on where you are placing the lights, but in general how do you get to the wires? I.E. if you want lights under your seats or dashboard or around the shifter?

When you paint the interior, do you just use regular spray paint? I read about the paint prep, and the clear coat and such that was obvious, but no one said what they specifically use for the colors.

On the technical end, my 01 Tibby keeps rattling when idling as the RPM's drop down to about 600 then jump back up to 1000. I read here to adjust the idle, but can't figure out how to do this. If anyone could point out how to adjust where the RPM is at idle it would be a huge help, thanks.

Sorry again for the total newb questions.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:50 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

1. Depends on where the LED's are going. If they are going in the switches, they get power from the OEM light source, you just unsolder the lights and put in the LED's with resistors. Most of the DIY's here have pictures showing exactly how these are done.

2. Depends on the paint you are comfortable with and the results you want. Use a paint that is made for plastics and follow the can instructions TO THE LETTER.

3. 600 RPM is way too low for your idle. Standard Idle is 850 to 950 RPM's. Adjust the idle with the Idle Adjust Screw. Looking directly at your throttle body, from the driver side, it's on the lower right corner, above the mounting stud. If it's the OEM TB, then there is a black sleeve that surrounds the screw, and there could be a cover over the screw, like a white paper stopper. There was on mine. Take it out and adjust.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:27 PM

Location: York. About 2hrs from Philly and 4 hours from Pittsburgh

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arcleo @ Nov 20 2006, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>When you paint the interior, do you just use regular spray paint? I read about the paint prep, and the clear coat and such that was obvious, but no one said what they specifically use for the colors.</div>

I used Krylon platic spray paint...alot of the guys like duplicolor plastic/vinyl paint
Old 11-20-2006, 07:34 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Nov 20 2006, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>3. 600 RPM is way too low for your idle. Standard Idle is 850 to 950 RPM's. Adjust the idle with the Idle Adjust Screw. Looking directly at your throttle body, from the driver side, it's on the lower right corner, above the mounting stud. If it's the OEM TB, then there is a black sleeve that surrounds the screw, and there could be a cover over the screw, like a white paper stopper. There was on mine. Take it out and adjust.</div>

I have noticed that my idle only drops that low when the heater is off. Is this a problem others have had? It seems like it would be an eletrical problem, but can't figure out why...
Old 11-20-2006, 07:56 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

1. you need a light tester to find a suitable power source for your leds. if you're doing the dashboard, the green/white+ and green/black- wires should be used if you want your leds to dim. there is a hot when interior lights are on on the 3rd (unused) pin of the cigarette lighter. The power supply for the door LEDs should be a green/white wire with a black ground but it is not variable as is the rest of the instrumentation. You can use wire taps available at any hardware store radioshack or auto parts store to tap into the wires. make sure you use the proper gauges. most wires in our cars will use a red or a blue wiretap (the taps are color coded).

2. Alot of paints will work, prepping the surface is the most important part. you can't paint the vinyl without special paint, but all the plastics in the vehical are fine with plastics paint as REDZMAN said.

3. try changing your PCV. it worked for me.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:32 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ Nov 20 2006, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>3. try changing your PCV. it worked for me.</div>

Changed PCV, and changing purge control valve wednesday cause cel keeps coming on saying its stuck open. Changed oil, wires, plugs wednesday... Anything else anyone can think of doing?

Also my P/S is squealing like crazy, I think it might be the fluid cause tightened the belts as much as I could, but I can't see the level in the resevoir cause it is too dirty. Any suggestions how to check this/fix it?
Old 11-20-2006, 09:00 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

clean off the power steering with a rag or open the fuxor up and look inside.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:54 PM

Power steering fluid was completely full so tried another test, turned on lights, made a right hand turn, and rolled down windows all at the same time. The car started shaking and the belts started squealing really loud, so figure it probably the alternator belt.

Anyone ever change this themselves? Never done it before, and curious how you go about it, can't find it on WebTech, any suggestions?
Old 11-21-2006, 05:34 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Check your belt first man. See if it needs replaced.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:15 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Changing the alternator belt is easy, and the belt isn't special or anything so most auto stores should have it.