Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Gas Treatment Additives?

Old 07-01-2011, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 TURBO Tiburon
Default Gas Treatment Additives?

Has anybody tried or can recommend using this type of stuff? I read some mixed reviews of how additives can actually hurt our vehicles. What about octane booster? Does that stuff really work or is it all BS? I cant find race gas anywhere around me, so i was thinking about getting the best octane (91) and then dumping a bottle of the booster in to see if it offers any performance for my car since its turbo'd.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:11 AM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

The only thing I recommend putting in your gas tank is GAS.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I agree. Gas. It's all you need.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

Read the fine print on the back of that octane boost bottle. It actually tells you how much of an octane boost you get. I can't remember the exact number, but I do remember thinking it was funny when I saw it.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:11 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

when you can tell me what the number is for a stoichiometric burn of 89 octane gas, then you can start adding things to your fuels.

kerosene in small quantities, like 8 ounces per 10 gallons of gas can help clean clogged fuel injectors.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:05 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon 2.0 G4GF-EG

Originally Posted by dragon
I cant find race gas anywhere around me, so i was thinking about getting the best octane (91) and then dumping a bottle of the booster in to see if it offers any performance for my car since its turbo'd.
I hope 91 is not the best you can get ... here it is 103 and 95 to 98 is normal...

A friend actually used a water injection to get more power from his turbo'd RX 7 and it worked. I read that ethanol works similar. Both work via cooling and by increasing the expansion of the injected fuel mixture with the same amount of gas/additive mixture injected compared to just gas.

It seems to me that I read as many "it hurt my engine" as "i had a gain in performance" when i read on that stuff.

Now this is really insider information:

A friend works for Audi as an engineer. He develops engines and particularly works on improving fuel economy. He told me that you need to adjust the engine management to work for exactly on type of fuel or a fuel/air mixture to gain more power (that mixture may vary for different conditions if you adjust the settings in the engine management accordingly). Most cars have a set range of fuels. Knowing that the gains in unmodified cars by using other fuels are negligible .... he told me all that because I put "V-power" in my Tib which caused him to laugh at me
Old 07-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

You can laugh back if you like.

91 doesn't compare to the 100+ ratings in Australia and possibly wherever in Europe you are, because they calculate the published octane ratings differently in different parts of the world.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:46 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon 2.0 G4GF-EG

Lower octane fuel than specified might cause knocking (fuel detonates before being ignited by spark). The engine management is influenced by a knock sensor. It can usually compensate downwards a little (discrepancies in normal 91 RON fuel) and upwards to the next fuel rating (here that would usually be 95 RON). The 98RON (sulphor free) and 100+RON fuels offered here do not provide a benefit without adjusting the engine management in older cars (RD Tibs) i.e. spark timing and compression ratios.

Good point on the octane ratings though. But still, the 91 he could get would only compare to a 95 here. I checked at the petrol station today and the best is Aral ultimate 102, which would be a 98 in the states.

E85 might be a solution for him though. The octane rating is higher than in normal fuel, but you have to change compression ratios like you would do for a monovalent(one type of fuel) car on LPG. With E95 and LPG you do not get the benefit from the higher octane rating and even loose power. With proper modification you might get more power from those fuels, but I read up on it and doubt it would be feasible with little money to spend if you want to do that properly and not damage your car, bearing in mind that you HAVE to use higher octane fuel at all times from that point on (knocking). I would be too cheap for that .

I guess a good starter would be the wikipedia site on the subject. And in his case (turbo) the garrett site.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:16 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

The best Additive I've Found Is call..... CLEAN POWER..... They have It At Vic Hubbard Speed And marine
Old 10-02-2011, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Originally Posted by zwoodzy
The best Additive I've Found Is call..... CLEAN POWER..... They have It At Vic Hubbard Speed And marine
Based on your extensive experience with....jet ski's and ski boats?