Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

exhaust tip already installed?

Old 12-03-2010, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon
Default exhaust tip already installed?

Hi guys,

I'm going to sound like a complete newbie because I am, but I have a tiny question. My 98 Camaro got totaled a .month ago by some idiot turning left out of a parking lot across 4 lanes of traffic (First thing he told me was he didn't look my direction to see if it was clear). His insurance only valued my car at $3600 and wouldn't give a penny more (sad day..) but I lucked out and found a 2000 red tib with 124k miles for $3100. Guy said it had been sitting on the lot for 2 months. Perk of driving a manual.

Anyway, the question is about the exhaust. I got in it to drive it when my dad brought it home and noticed it sounded strange for a 4 cyl. It sounded like it had a little growl to it. Nothing major but it is definitely noticeable. I looked at the tailpipe and it looks like a tip has been welded on. I'm entirely not sure because I'm horrible with cars and the dealer had no idea about it. If anyone has pics of a stock tailpipe for a 2000 tib I would greatly appreciate it. It sounds pretty nice to my ears actually. Its not annoying like some really loud exhausts can be but it gives it some sound. So, I don't want to change it I was just wandering if they came stock sounding like this or if it had been modden.

Thanks everyone.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

The 2000-2001's usually sound like that stock. The 1996-1999's do not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqtlT9BMhhM

(not my vid)

I believe that is the OEM muffler with OEM sound.

By the way, $3,100 is expensive, especially for that high mileage. It should be at least $2,300-$2,500, one owner with a clean record.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:01 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Thats stock alright HKC. I can't see the details in that vid, it should have some diamond shaped bumps around the exhaust exit. I polished mine up nicely. It can be polished and you tools should be simple green and the back side of a sponge... Maybe some very fine steel wool.

Most people won't notice, but the stock muffler looks aftermarket because of the tip.

As for the sound, add a header to it for a real clean purr.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^ make that a header with thick tubes. Thin tubes can be raspy.