Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Exhasut Help Needed

Old 07-16-2007, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay guys, I've had my Tib about 8 months and I love it. It has Forza headers and exhaust, I almost didnt by the car becasue of this. Its been super loud lately, I listen to clips of users here with much larger mufflers making less noise. So I took it in to have it looked at and my resonator is shot, thats where the extra noise/exhaust leak is coming from.

I went to three different places today to try and get a cat back system for it, and no one is able to get one wtf?...It's an '01 so getting parts really shouldnt be an issue, it was easier to get parts for my '91 Supra

I also looked at just getting a new resonator, but all three places were unable (or at least unwilling) to cut the old one out and install a new one.

Napa had the cat shown as on the exhaust manifold, mine is under the car due to the aftermarket headers and lack of a primary cat. So at this point if I were to source the parts from the Hyundai dealer I would need to order a new exhaust manifold and full exhaust system which isnt really what I want to do

I know a lot of you guys are running aftermarket or custom set ups. I can find resonators online, that really isnt the issue, the issue is getting it installed because I am unable to weld

Any Ideas?
Old 07-16-2007, 11:41 AM

if u take it to an actual muffler shop they should do it i had the same prob a few years back and i jus took it to modern muffler and they charged me like 60 bucks for everything
Old 07-16-2007, 06:54 PM

First off. WTF is with shops not wanting to do work? It seems more and more people are posting about not being able to find a shop willing to do the work they request. I just dont understand it! anyways, back OT

It should be a pretty easy fix I would think. Any shop that deals with aftermarket parts should be able to get you any size resonator within 48 hours, or probly, next day. If they sell it, 99% sure they will put it on too. As far as labour is concerned, it should be cheap> 1) cut out old resonator, 2) weld in new resonator. So what, 15 minutes? Ebay also has tons of resonators, but you'd be waiting a while due to shipping.

I'd just go to a shop, or try muffler man or something. I'm sure they'd do it too. Just make sure they check for leaks too, could be a hole in your headers or flex pipe or something.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:56 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

yeah, if it's just a resonator then just have them replace it. If you want it to be quieter then get a the longest one you can fit in there.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:29 PM

I've taken it to two different muffler shops, first one told me the resonator is shot and thats where the noise is coming from. Took a look while they had it on the rack and sure shit, its rotted. Said there wasn't anything they could do unless I wanted to do it from the cat back, they looked in thier catalog and couldnt even order the parts.

Went to Napa to see if I could source a cat back system from them (I know now with the headers a OEM cat back wouldnt work) and they had it in the catalog, but the parts arent made yet.

Went to Midas and had them take a look with the same result, the resonator is shot, and if they cant get the pipe with the resonator (they cant for the Tiburon, the warehouse hadnt even heard of Hyundai) then they said they wont touch it, apparently he said people with older preludes and civics come there with the same problem all the time.

My dad seems to think that we can just cut the old one out and clamp the new one in, any thoughts on this?
Old 07-17-2007, 08:46 PM

i definitly wouldnt clamp it to the pipe. could cause a leak down the line.go on ebay get a resonator and find some1 to weld it.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:22 PM

Yeah, thats the problem, cant find anyone thats willing to weld it, do I need to go someplace other than an exhaust shop?
Old 07-18-2007, 09:48 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon SE

Any exhaust shop should have no problem welding it for you. Thats what they do for a living...... weld exhausts...
If the exhaust shop won't do it for you, then just go to any shop that works on cars.
I would replace the resonator with a glass-pack or high-flow cat