Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Electrical Short

Old 09-23-2007, 06:36 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Two 97 RD Tibs and 2010 Genesis Coupe

Hey guys!
Looking for someone thats good with Electrical problems.....
Basically i was trying to hook up my HID kit but for some reason the driver side does not work.At first i thought it was the bulb or the ballast but i had extra ones and still nothing.
Basically whats happening is when i got my light tester and touched the two pins on the bulb harness coming out of the car i had POWER on both pins.I dont understand why?
I checked the other side and only one side there is power which is the way it suppose to be!!!
The funny thing is when i install my Xenon OEM bulb it works no problem which is what i dont understand?
I also checked my fuses in the car and there are fine?
Any help would be appreciated! smile.gif fing02.gif
Old 09-23-2007, 06:52 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Def. weird.. Were the HIDs connected when you did that light test?
Old 09-23-2007, 07:10 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

have you had them on before? i had to upgrade my fuses to 20's.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:12 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

HIDs wont work when connected backwards. Try swapping the connectors. I had a problem when I installed mine. I looked up the power wires on HMAService.com, turns out the schematics are wrong! It called for a black and white wire, I had brown and yellow. It was wierd. Either way, after i hooked them both up backwards and had no light, I turned them right and it was squared away.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HyundaiKitCoupe @ Sep 23 2007, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>have you had them on before? i had to upgrade my fuses to 20's.</div>

Sorry to quote the post above, but I need to make sure HKC gets a good digital choking!!!! YOU TARD! Downgrade your flippin' fuses before you cause an electrical fire. A fuse upgrade is a wire fire waiting to happen. If you upgrade your fuses it will just make it possible for you to overload the circuit. HIDs use LESS power then Incandescants! Put the 10amp fuse back in there before i show up and install an ignition self-destruct while you sleep!

J/k man, I just don't want to see your car burn up. There is no reason to change the fuse size.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:45 PM

Perhaps they use more than 15 amps at startup, in which case wouldn't it be ok? You're only overloading the wires for a couple of seconds, running 20amps on 15amps wires for a couple of secs is not exactly playing with matches smile.gif
Old 09-23-2007, 08:47 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: Two 97 RD Tibs and 2010 Genesis Coupe

DrivingTibnaked!
When you say try to swap connectors what do you mean? You refering to the bulb plug coming out of the car?
Also FORGOT TO MENTION is even with the car off i still get constant power on the harness plug coming out of the car on both terminals....
I was thinking of replacing the harness plug coming out of the car and buying a new one.I alraedy had to replace the plug in the past because i use to use high Wattage Xenon 100W bulbs which use to melt the plug.I believe the 9006Harness plug was like $2....
I might change the plug and see what happens..
Stupid question but does it matter which wire is positive on the new Harness plug i will put in?
Reason why i say this is because the one i have are both Black in color and doesnt show which is pos or neg..
Old 09-23-2007, 08:58 PM
DTN

^^ Yeah, swap connectors from where the bulb used to plug in. I'm not really sure what' you're asking. HIDs matter for polarity. Incandescants do not matter.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (radu_rd2 @ Sep 23 2007, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Perhaps they use more than 15 amps at startup, in which case wouldn't it be ok? You're only overloading the wires for a couple of seconds, running 20amps on 15amps wires for a couple of secs is not exactly playing with matches smile.gif</div>

It's not the 2 seconds that you need to be worried about... It's when you close a tool in your hood an it catches a wire and shorts it to ground. Then you get a wire fire. You never over-rate a fuse. Fuses may ONLY be under-rated.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:02 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

ditto on what dtn says. chances are you wont burn up your car upping by small amounts, but you will definitely destroy other components that are on the same circuit if something shorts out.

and dude, you will learn that 99% of wires in tibs are a diff color than they say they are in the schematics. makes installing an alarm a PITA when you cant cross reference pin numbers with wire colors to double check.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:05 PM

Got it DTN, thanks!

2UNIQ: are you sure you're not doing something wrong when checking the power on that harness? That sounds impossible given that the regular lights work ok (and don't stay on all the time)
Old 09-23-2007, 09:34 PM
DTN

BTW... if for some reason you feel that you need more power then you have at a certain area, the proper method is to run the origonal power line into a relay, then run a power wire from the battery to the relay and power your object from the relay instead of the origonal power line. Never overrate a fuse.