Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Do I Need A New Alternator? :(

Old 07-18-2006, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

Well last night, I felt like a cruise so i started my car and noticed that my battery light was on. I drove for a little bit and remembered that earlier that day i was using the car stereo to listen to music while doing some yardwork. (Car was not running) About 10 mins into my cruise, my gauge lights started to dim...QUICKLY...my cd player turned off by itself, and i donno if anyone will understand this one but every time i would flash my high beams, the dials on my RPM and Speedometer would zip down to zero and back up to the speed/rpm i was going.

By the time i pulled into my driveway, my lights would not turn on, my gauge lights were off and i was in complete darkness inside my car.

It is the morning after now and havent tried to start my car. I am an idiot so, do i need a new alternator or battery or what?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2006, 12:38 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Depends which is bad. Go get it tested.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:48 PM

i think it may be just your battery, on another car of mine a couple of years ago all the dash lights started to glow like they were raidioactive, had it checked out and they said it was the alternator, so , i'm no mechanic but i'd say if it was the alternator you would probably have the same happen. hope this helps you out.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:03 PM

Most definately your alternator. Don't drive it any more until it is fixed or you could end up having to throw your battery out too. (Unless you have an Optima battery).

I had the exact same thing happen to me this past Sunday.

Here is a list of my symptoms as I drove:

Stereo lost reception.
CD player started to sound crappy.
Lights dimmed.
Speedo and Tach needled started to bounce.
Car lost power with every flash of the turn signal.
Car almost stalled as I applied brakes.
In the end it was running on only a couple cylinders.

I shut it off and called a tow truck.

Yesterday I went to the dealership and purchased a brand new alternator. It is a pain in the arse to replace because you need to remove the power steering pump and jack the front end of the car. also ned to remove the inner fender for easier access to the lower alternator bolt.

If you are mechanically inclined, you should be able to do it yourself. If not then I ould either get someone who is, or get it towed to the dealership.

After replacing the alternator it fired right up and ran normally. Took it for a drive and everything was AOK.

Good luck. wink1.gif
Old 07-18-2006, 01:03 PM

I agree go to local auto zone or which ever you have and get the battery tested. Also make sure your alternator belt is nice and snug and getting enough power.

I would also say look at the grounding and make sure everything is okay. Don't really have to do this unless you still get the problem with a new battery and a new alternator.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:10 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

How much did a new alternator cost from the dealer?
As i am not the most mechanically inclined person, is labour going to be through the roof?

In total, how much (apprx) will this cost me to replace the alternator?
Old 07-18-2006, 01:18 PM

like i said in my last post , i'm no mechanic , just going off what happened to me with my old car, i'd listen to these guys most of them seem to know quit abit .
Old 07-18-2006, 01:47 PM

Definitely sounds like a bad alternator, but make sure you check everything over before you buy a new one. I had a friend once that experienced all the classic symptoms of a bad alternator, but when he took hi s car to the mechanic, it was only the negative battery terminal that had come loose. If you do have to replace it, it's around $150-200 or so for the part. I'm pretty sure you don't have to remove the power steering pump, there is just 1 bolt on top and1 on the bottom, and you can pull it out from underneath.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:49 PM

Redride changing an alternator is extremely easy. Their is two bolts holding it to the engine and one bolt to modify the tightness of the belt. The only semi hard part is putting the belt back on in the correct pattern then again its not to difficult. I don't recommend you pay to get it changed because you will get over charged. (not all the time but most of the time). Anyway my new alternator cost me about $180 at my local auto store.

good luck and let us know what fixes this!
Old 07-18-2006, 01:50 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I don't see any reason at all that you'd need to remove the power steering pump.