Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Cruise Control Troubleshoot?

Old 07-04-2009, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I am having problems with the cruise control, first I would turn on the switch but when I press the set bottom on the wiper switch It wont not set, the cruise light on the dash will not come on. So I checked the clutch and stop switch and they were loose and not making contact. I move them forward and and tighten them so that the switches are almost touching the the metal switch housing when the break and clutch are fully depressed. Took the car for a ride. the cruise light comes on but the car wont maintain speed. Went on the Webtech site and printed the troubleshoot. It says to measure the Resistance on the connector with a voltmeter but it does not tell you the values. Than it says to pull out the electric vacuum pump and connect to 12 volt source and listen for the motor running. I did that the motor wont run. I tap it and it started run but i sounded like an old compressor that was about to die. Took it apart and from the housing and the internal little turbine was clogged with dirt and pieces of foam. I clean it out with electronic cleaner and and some wd40. Once i connected it again it ran right away but it still sounds loud and not running properly. So I'm thinking this vacuum pump is just messed up. If anyone has an extra one laying around please PM me. I don't have myvac so I was not able to do the vacuum actuator test. But I sucked don the hose and the actuator moves freely and pulls the throttle cable.

Oh by the way. I also thinkg that pump i missing a part. Because when you look under the motor there is two round little intakes inside a larger plastic lip that seems to have had a filter on there before. But the lip is cracked. There is also another nipple that seem to have a hose connection that was broken off.

Any other suggestions?

thank you

Old 07-05-2009, 11:22 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

The USUAL cause for this, which there are threads for and you obviously didn't search for threads about cruise control problems, is replacing your BRAKE LIGHT BULBS with either the wrong bulb, or with LED bulbs.

This is only for the BRAKE LIGHT bulbs. This problem has plagued a few of us, including me, and took years to figure out.

So the first thing I'd do is check your bulbs, make sure you have the right ones, and that you don't have LED bulbs in there. If you do, the resistance is too low, or the load is, I can't remember, and the CRUISE light comes on, but it won't actually work at all (the other lights won't come on either).

I've been told this same thing will happen if your bulbs are burnt out too. Might also want to check fuses.

Now, after you check this, and if everything is good, including the wires, then look at replacing parts.

For the broken stuff, take some pictures. GOOD pictures.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:58 PM

red, thank you for the insight, is crazy that a bulb would affect that. I did check all the fuses one by one, I will check the bulbs on all my rear lights. But unless something is burn out back there I've never changed a bulb in those rear lights. And they are OEM stock.

Thank you for the insight red, I did check all my fuses one by one, I saw the issues you were having with the led, and that will not apply to me because I have stock OEM lamps, I saw the circuit blueprints and now I see how the bulbs play into the whole cruise control circuit. So I am going to make sure I do not have any blown bulbs back there.

I have a question when you were having the LED problems were you able to set the cruise, meaning will your green cruise indicators light on the dash come on ?
because mine does once I press the set button, but I think the vacuum pump in not creating enough psi to pull on the actuator. When I test it with 12v from my battery it sounded really bad as I described in the previous post it sound it really loud like a beat up compressor/refrigerator. I'll check the lights first and if that does not do it than I'm sure it is the vacuum pump.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:29 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Yeah, that's what I said above, the CRUISE light comes on, but the other indicators stay off.

Your actuator MAY be bad, they do go bad, but until we see the damaged parts you are talking about, we are just guessing at stuff.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I may still need my coffee, but aren't you trying to get the cruise to work after an auto to manual conversion? If so, good luck!
Old 07-06-2009, 09:29 AM

No, stocker my car is stock manual
Old 07-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

blame the low intravenous caffeine levels then, sorry!
Old 07-07-2009, 10:11 AM

so here are the pics

the first pic shows the cc vacuum pump unit

second pic in the center shows the nipple that i think was broken off. To the right of the cracked one the one pointing to the right is the one that was connected to actuator. When I connected the pump to 12 v it runs but does not pull or push air thru the nipple. If is there two nipples. The only thing I know of is the one vacum hose that goes to the cc actuator?

last pic shows the two round things i was describing within the bigger round lip. When connected to 12v if i put my finger over the one on the left it sucks air. the one on the right pushes air. As I mention before that lip is cracked in one side which leaves me to believe there was some kind of cover there before.
I checked the brake bulbs and they were working and were the correct bulbs. When I drive the car the car green light on the dash turns on but the cruise does not maintain speed.

Guys what's the deal is this pump missign something, I want to get the cc running again
Old 07-19-2009, 11:43 AM

Based on the pics do you guys see anything wrong with the pump?
Old 07-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

based on the *blurry* pics and lack of another pump for comparison purposes, no.