Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Constant Velocity Joint..

Old 09-16-2006, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys..im not completly sure if in US and other regions you would call this part the same, but here (in Aus) its called CV joint and shaft..

Basicly what happens is, when i turn my car left and accelerate my right wheel produces the sorta clacking noise..This happened before with the left wheel aswel, but i got it replaced. Now the right one went out aswel, need replacement, but if i take it to the auto service they will charge me 80$ for labour (take the old one out, put new one in) i was thinking of saving that money and doing this replacement myself.

Any ideas how this could be done?

Thanks wink1.gif
Old 09-17-2006, 01:03 AM

Not sure how difficult the job actually is. My Tib never went through a CV joint in it's entire 127,000 mile life. However, I did replace several in my old Excel. It was basially a matter of removing the castle nut at the end of the shaft where the spindle pokes through the brake and unbolting the bottom of the strut from the suspension so it could be pulled far enough away from the car to slid the spindle/shaft out. Once it was out of the strut, a good solid yank pulled the shaft free of the transmission.

installation is the opposite of removal as they used to say in the old english car manuals
Old 09-17-2006, 01:29 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

be prepared cause small amount of oil from the transmission may leak out when you pop inner CV joint out.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:16 AM

^Yeah..i dont think the oil would be a problem cos the rubber part is broken..but yeah ill see..

It sounds not too bad, but i thought u might need to somehow push the spring and the shock up so u can take the joint out..