Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Colt camshafts my RD tib

Old 01-04-2011, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon RD
Default Colt camshafts my RD tib

Hi there!

I've been looking for performance camshafts for my 97 2,0 RD Tiburon for quite some time now.. It seems like the Colt cams (KFX performance) is the only option (?)

However, I could really use som help from someone that have installed these cams. I got the following questions:

1. I need to get a hold of some camshafts I can send in for re-grinding. I live in Norway, so I don't want to send in my originals.

Where can I get cams at a resonable prise in the USA? Anyone that can help me with this?

2. Do I need to change the valve-springs? Any other parts I need to change? What adjustments do I need to do when installing?

And yes, I'm gonna use the megasquirt system.

Ps: sorry if my english sucks a bit!

Regards from Norway :biggrin:
Old 01-04-2011, 09:39 AM

Catcams have 8 sets of billet blanks on their shelves at the moment. When i had my RD myself and a friend went and got the 252's which another member from US used a few years back and we copied the specs. Catcams had to borrow a cylinder head from us, and made up the blanks...

So they are there for the taking - just tell them what specs you want and hey presto
Old 01-04-2011, 10:03 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon i4

If you are going to rev the engine into higher RPMs than I would suggest a set of stiffer springs but im not sure how well they would work with hydraulic lash adjusters anything about 7000rpm. Most guys around here that I have spoken with have 1mm oversize valves to help the added air from the cams travel through the head better.

Upgrading valvetrain is a whole new ball game because you cannot upgrade one thing expecting results without upgrading the other to support it...very expensive endeavor.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Androoo
Catcams have 8 sets of billet blanks on their shelves at the moment. When i had my RD myself and a friend went and got the 252's which another member from US used a few years back and we copied the specs. Catcams had to borrow a cylinder head from us, and made up the blanks...

So they are there for the taking - just tell them what specs you want and hey presto

Oh, thanks! Just wrote a mail to the norwegian dealer (affraid it would be expensive to get it from a norwegian dealer, but worth a try)
Old 01-04-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by slow 2K2GT
If you are going to rev the engine into higher RPMs than I would suggest a set of stiffer springs but im not sure how well they would work with hydraulic lash adjusters anything about 7000rpm. Most guys around here that I have spoken with have 1mm oversize valves to help the added air from the cams travel through the head better.

Upgrading valvetrain is a whole new ball game because you cannot upgrade one thing expecting results without upgrading the other to support it...very expensive endeavor.

Okei. No plans about going for higher RPM's, so original springs will do the job?
Old 01-04-2011, 11:55 AM

Just got answer from catcams norwegian dealer.. and this list speaks for itself:

Camshafts 1285$

Mechanical lifters 827$

Double springs 455$

Retainers 303$

Camgears 465$

Grand total 3335$ .. OMG
Old 01-04-2011, 12:36 PM

LOL - thats a load of tosh.....

I paid £400 for them - so what, about $650? Ground and delivered from Belgium, with a third party company taking a cut

They also have the specs for the highest lift on stock springs etc.... i think the warehouse in is in belgium. Id give you the number of the dealer in the UK, but sadly they have recently closed down... that guy was a genius.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Androoo
LOL - thats a load of tosh.....

I paid £400 for them - so what, about $650? Ground and delivered from Belgium, with a third party company taking a cut

They also have the specs for the highest lift on stock springs etc.... i think the warehouse in is in belgium. Id give you the number of the dealer in the UK, but sadly they have recently closed down... that guy was a genius.

Hah, yes it is.. pricelevels on carparts in Norway is sick (and this guy is probably trying to screw me around to)

However, so you used stock springs with your cams? (your cam had specs for the highest lift on stock springs)
Old 01-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I wouldn't worry about the springs too much, but then I'm not tearing up a race track. New springs on a ten year-old car might not be a horrible idea, but I don't know if you need to pay up extra for super-extra-double-plus good springs.

Your English is better than the Norwegian of any of the rest of the membership don't sweat it.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Stocker
I wouldn't worry about the springs too much, but then I'm not tearing up a race track. New springs on a ten year-old car might not be a horrible idea, but I don't know if you need to pay up extra for super-extra-double-plus good springs.

Your English is better than the Norwegian of any of the rest of the membership don't sweat it.

"New springs on a ten year-old car might not be a horrible idea" .. that's true. Anyone who know where I can get "normal" new springs?

Heh, that's good