Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Check your transmission fluid!

Old 10-19-2012, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Check your transmission fluid!

I changed out my tranny fluid with redline MT-90. When I drained it, I only got roughly 1.5 quarts out of it (even after jacking up the passenger side to elevate it). I was able to put in the 2.2 quarts until full. It seems I have a bit of leak coming out of where the axle shaft hooks in to the transmission. Not sure how to fix that though. I guess I'll just be sure to check the fluid every few months. Unless you guys know why it would leak out of where the axle shaft meets the transmission, or how to fix it?
Old 10-20-2012, 07:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS

The seals are usually damaged during installation of new cv joints. You can replace the seals for a couple bucks. You will need to remove the drive axles to get to them. It's probably about a one hour job if you haven't done this before. Make sure to be careful with the seals during installation.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

3-4 hours to replace the transmission, maybe. 3-4 hours if you detach the knuckle at the top, include driving to the shop, waiting, having an alignment done, driving home, maybe. It's careless axle removal/replacement that damages the seals. Don't insert your prybar too far, don't smash the new seal when replacing the axle

1: Pull axle

2: Pull seal

3: Replace seal

4: Replace axle

edit to add: 5: top off transmission oil!
Old 10-20-2012, 02:16 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT

Super easy super cheap!
Old 10-20-2012, 02:55 PM

Well I'll see how fast it's leaking out. I'll check the fluid in a few weeks. If it's not leaking that fast I'm not going to worry too much about it. It can't be too big of a leak since there's never any fluid drops on the ground.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:09 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Accent

its not gonna leak when its standing... Because driveshafts are higher then fill up bolt meaning it maybe leaking like crazy when driving.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:28 PM

buy a presser tool from advanced auto..

its the seal that needs replaced where the CV shaft fits into the transmission, it lost its adhesive properties, most likely.

i use pipe sealant for the transmission seal

or take it to a mechanic but i've heard horror stories on here about them not correctly replacing tranny seals