Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

changing my ECU

Old 03-29-2005, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default changing my ECU

ok so as some of you know i did a tranny swap a while back, and everything mechanically worked out great !! I still havent hooked up the reverse lights, I need the connector that plugs into the top of the tranny, im too lazy to go to the junkyard for one. the valeo clutch is still holding up great after 9000 miles, but the one thing i never fixed was the CEL im getting. after i did the swap i got a cel thats telling me, and i qoute "MT/AT encoding", what i derived from that is the ECU doesnt know what gear the car is in, so its throwing a cel, i thought it might be pin 72, which is for the characteristic map, but im not sure, what the hell is a characteristic map

so what i wanna do here is throw in a 1.8 ECU from a manual, wouldnt that get rid of the CEL ??? also what if I threw in an ECU from a 2.0 manual ? would all the splicing of the wires at the auto shifter be for nothing ??, because that loop isnt needed for the manul ECU right ?
Old 03-29-2005, 05:54 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

From what else everyone has told me, ECUs from the auto and manual are the same.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:40 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

It should get rid of it though. Don't see why not.

Maybe the Tranny ECU needs to be swapped>?
Old 03-29-2005, 07:41 AM

That is correct Ham head
But there is also a Auto Tranny ECU, so maybe unplug that?
confused.gif
Old 03-29-2005, 11:33 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN)</div><div class='quotemain'>It should get rid of it though. Don't see why not.

Maybe the Tranny ECU needs to be swapped>?</div>

well I did remove it already, The tranny ECU is a box, looks like the ECU, and it also has a little black box like the size of a jewelry ring box attatched to it, I unplugged them both, and took them out. so i was thinking maybe puting it back in and seeing what happens

does the manual have a tranny ECU ???

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KayJai)</div><div class='quotemain'>That is correct Ham head
But there is also a Auto Tranny ECU, so maybe unplug that?
confused.gif</div>

see above !!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Speed-Factor)</div><div class='quotemain'>You have to Cut pin 86 on the ecu and connect the ecu side of the wire to pin #1 on key shift lock plug.

And you remove the TCU altogether.</div>

yup did that already, I dont have the electrical stuff on paper with me right now, so I cant remember what wires I cut and spliced together, but there are wires at the transaxle range switch that go together or rerouted, two are for the clutch pedal interlock and two are for the reverse lights, wires at the shift lever inside the center console that go together, and wires that need to be cut and spliced into at the ECU.

check my DIY, I think I put all that info in there of what I did, please read it, and let me know what you find wrong !!!!

you guys are the best !!! you are making my deployment go by so much faster, it sucks being here at sea, and I look foward to this site everyday!!!! ok enuf of the gay shit, go troubleshoot !!! uh shit another point on my record for swearing !!