Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

CEL with newly installed custom CAI?

Old 03-31-2005, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL with newly installed custom CAI?

hey i just installed my custom CAI with the K& N filter. at first i didn't reset the ecu all the way, and the CEL didn't come on, bvut after i reset it in like a couple of minutes the CEL came on. I don't know what could have caused this, the IAT sensor is inside the intake properly, and the other sensor doesn't have any problems. it seems a bit sluggish too, but i haven't finished drivin for the 20 minutes yet, for the ECU to relearn. will the light go off? what can i do to fix it? thanks for the help in advance.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:57 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

NOw this is gonna sound like I'm ripping on you, but did you put the MAF on the correct way? IF the MAF is backwards the car would run sluggish and prolly throw a CEL cause it can't read the intake air properly. Check that out.

Either way I would say reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery and holding the brake for 10-15 seconds. Reconnect and everything should be kosher.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:02 AM

what a quick answer. this is newbie, and sorry i haven't searched yet, but the MAF, is that the piece on the original intake that is a b**** to get off. i bought a ebay intake and the IAT went in the little hole and sealed well, but i left the black hose with the sensor in it on. i didn't reverse it i don't think. also i didn't reset the ecu correctly ( didn't hold the brake) so i guess i should try that too.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:08 AM

Yeah, the MAF is the thing with the little arrow on it. That arrow should be pointing towards the firewall of the engine. (windshield)

Another way to be sure incase the sticker is not there, the mesh like grill should be the first thing that sees the incoming air. But by the sounds of things you should be okay on that front.

As for the ECU thing, you have to do it so the ECU can "learn" the new settings, you use the brake to dispense any leftover energy in the car's capacitors thus emtying the car of power.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:15 AM

didn't really notice the arrow, but yeah, the grill inside that tube is towards the firewall. and the IAT is in. i've seen buddies install CAI's b4, w/no CEL's, i guess dispelling the energy makes sense. i'l hold it for like a minute just to make sure. i have to go back to the garage on post later after i finish at work ( i'll be done by lunch i hope) to get a 10mm wrench to disconnect the screws on the batter. i'll definately let you know if that helped. probably just need the brakes depressed. thanks for the help!
next is an exhaust!!!
Old 03-31-2005, 09:26 AM

If the grill is facing the firewall (back of engine) then you have it in backwards and that is what is causing the CEL

Here is a picture of the MAF, it's the black thing inbetween the to chrome injen pieces. The grill should be closer to the battery and should see the incoming air first.
-------/ Grill------------------/ Throttlebody
air --> X--------[MAF]--------[]
Old 03-31-2005, 09:51 AM

that is a f*&^in BEAUTIFULLY CLEAN ENGINE!!!!!!!! i gotta go clean up the screen, its all sticky now! injen too nice.... ( not nuff $$$ here). yeah i think the MAf is def backwards then, cuz i remember the grill facing away from the battery and towards the engine. i notice your intake surrounds the maf tube... should i get a custom pipe made to connect to the .. whatever that is i guess the IM, since the rubber isn't helping the cooler air much?
Old 03-31-2005, 09:59 AM

I appreciate the enthusiasm but this engine bay is not mine. 02.gif It belongs to redturbulence, this months Car Of The Month winner. One of the nicer RD2's around right now. I have a silver car, and a dirty @$$ engine bay. LOL It was the only picture I new I could find quickly.

Anyway, hopefully you get that straightened out. Remember that anytime you mod your engine you should reset your ECU as well. This lets the ECU "accept" the new changes.

As for the rubber couplings, those ones are just for looks mostly. But the couplings do hold the tubing together better this way you won't lose your intake.wink1.gif

np Cyber, I knew you would've figured it out.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:00 AM

Oopps, never mind, I thought that was your car too Silver, I should have know it wasn't yours when the car in the pic was red. sorry.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:07 AM

Default fixed

yeah i should've figgered your name means it wasn't red cuz your name is silver lol. i'm gonna go change the maf and drive to the garage for the 10mm socket wrench. i'll log back on in a bit and tell you how freakin awesome it is . later guys! thanks

well the problem is all fixed. thanks for the really lightning quick responses. time to see what else has been posted smile.gif