Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Car Wont Start

Old 07-23-2006, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997/ Hyundai/ Tiburon

so 2 nites ago i went to get some dinner for the fam and when i came out i couldnt start the car. the car made a clicking noise so i assumed that it was the starter. since i couldnt get one that nite, my dad came and used jumper cables and it worked. The yesterday i got in my car and started it up fine for work drove it to work like any other regular day. when i got off work i couldnt start my car, banged on it and nothing. so today i installed a new starter and it still dont start. I have no clue what to do.

- i tried banging on the starter- didnt work
- new starter installed (still the same shyt)
- it makes clicking nosies
- engine does not crank
- i have changed my plugs and wires about a lil more than a year ago.
- i have changed the alternator
- battery was replaced a year ago

what you guys think is the problem?
Old 07-23-2006, 01:21 PM

Vehicle: 1997/Hyundia/Tiburon Fx

If it's clicking sounds like the battery...bring the car to like autozone and have them do a load test it's free...Cuz it sounds like either your battery craped out or you alternator regulator could have died..either way the load test will tell you if it is either or both..
Old 07-23-2006, 09:37 PM

well im gonna try head up to sears where i bought the battery. i have a 3 year warranty on the die hard. thanks
Old 07-23-2006, 10:09 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

bro bro bro.. things like that, you ahve to start with the petty stuff... like the battery.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:40 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

I'd bet money on the battery. I thought there'd be some "catch" as to why it wouldn't be the battery. But your battery is dead homie, its that simple.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:40 PM

Vehicle: 1997 RD Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rd1tib @ Jul 24 2006, 04:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>so 2 nites ago i went to get some dinner for the fam and when i came out i couldnt start the car. the car made a clicking noise so i assumed that it was the starter. since i couldnt get one that nite, my dad came and used jumper cables and it worked.</div>

Shouldn't that have given you a clue......It's the battery if jumper cables start it, not getting enough amps to turn the motor, hence the 'clicking' sound. Get a new battery and have your alternator tested.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:58 PM

the second time it failed on me i tried jumping it and it wouldnt start. i did it for over 10 times and still it wouldnt work. thats why i thought it was not the battery u kno.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:14 PM

Vehicle: 1997 RD Tiburon

^^ Fair enough.

Check your engine's grounding..... I used to have a old beat up '77 XC Ford Falcon with a transplant V8, I didnt ground it properly and I had dramas starting and jumping it, till I was told about the grounding. Started like a charm afterwards.

Also another time I tried to jump my mates car, it wouldn't start either. Mine definatly had a good battery and above the CCA needed to start it. Turned out his terminals were just a tiny bit too corroded and I wasn't getting a good connection. Pull your terminals off and give them a clean also.

Only the two things that I can come up with.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:20 AM

So i bought the battery back to sears and they said they gave me the wrong battery, whoppie do... I guess die hard made a special battery just for hyundais for some reason and i had the upgrade. anyways, its starting fine and everything, i just hope that it was just the battery and not something else. man i hate car problems. i have to work 6 days this week and the tib is the only car i can use to get to places... i hope the battery did the job.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:03 PM

Vehicle: 1997/Hyundia/Tiburon Fx

Did you have them check the alternator???? Cuz if ithe alternator is the problem then your just gunna run down that battery and be stuck again...