Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Car Problem Please Help

Old 09-14-2005, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope this is the right board, sorry if it isn't.

I was on the PA turnpike(garbage) and I was getting on the exit. I had to downshift into 3rd gear because of a slow moving car going about 20mph. Around the corner I put it into gear and gave it gas, only I was still slowing down. The engine sounded/felt like it was in gear and the rpms went up but I still slowed down, I took it out of gear and tried again but the same thing happened. I pulled over and saw my CEL, so I shut my car off. I called a friend and tried to start my car again, but I wouldn't catch. I had it towed to my house and thats where I stand at the moment.
I am thinking its the fuel pump, but I know little about cars, and i can't get my car smart friend over here to look. Any help would be awesome.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:18 PM

could be a lot of things
whens the last time you got a tune up
i would try reseting the CPU first
Old 09-14-2005, 12:26 PM

Its been awhile since I have had a tune up, and me and a friend pulled the ecu fuse out which he thought would reset it (he has a honda). That did nothing. I just don't understand how I could be fine for 15 miles going 65 and then no acceleration when i downshifted. Could I take off the fuel line on the right side of the fuel rail and test somehow that way?
Old 09-14-2005, 01:03 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vulcanwolf @ Sep 14 2005, 01:35 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>The engine sounded/felt like it was in gear and the rpms went up...
<div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>

Sounds like either the clutch or the throw out barring is toast.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:23 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Olds Cutlass

Thats wat i was thinking too casper.

Does sound like that could be your problem.

Try taking off now, if it takes forever to get moving, then it is def something with the clutch or tob.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:37 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

A clutch problem isn't going to cause a CEL and prevent the car from starting. The first step should be getting the code read if you can. That's likely to point you in the right direction.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:46 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

Read CEL
Check if there is fuel in the tank
Check if fuel pump is working (turn on the key to ON possition and listen, you should hear a buzz from under back seat)
Check if you have spark.

If you have a CEL - it's probably engine electrical problem (some sensor), probably crankshaft position sensor. Does tachometer show RPM when you crank the engine?

With clutch problem you could start the engine and in 3rd gear car wouldn't accelerate whereas engine will rev up. So IMO your clutch and drivetrain is ok.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:00 PM

Ok I will have to try and get my hands on a CEL reader, there should be fuel in the tank, the gauge showed 3/4 a tank and i got that 2 days before.
I don't think it is a clutch problem because i took it out of gear and placed it back in, then i put it in neutral to get it on the tow truck.
I tried to listen for the fuel pump starting but I didn't notice a sound, I even tried to listen from the gas cap.
I read somewhere that fuel pumps have a better chance of going bad at lower speeds, not sure about how true that is.

Thx for all the help so far.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:31 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

take out back seat, open fuel pump plastic cover, there are 2 tubes, touch them and turn the key to ON. You should feel the pressure inside the pipe.

Also check if there is voltage on the pump (as I remember it's 3 and 5 pins)