Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

car pops out of 5th gear

Old 12-06-2010, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib
Default car pops out of 5th gear

lately while driving down the highway my car will pop out of 5th. it will happen like once every ten minutes or so, quite annoying. if i hold my hand on the shifter and put a little pressure on it i can keep it from popping out... but i don't want to have to do that. it doesn't do this in any other gear.

the last time this happened, about a year ago, my clutch went out a few months later. since i replaced the clutch at that time with a brand new one, i don't think that's the problem. it's just strange that the problem took 1 1/2 years to return..

any ideas?

thanks
Old 12-06-2010, 04:09 PM

Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Tiburon

I had my car shifting itself out of gear once when ever I let off of the throttle. Turned out the tranny (rebuilt a week before) had one of the main bolts or something come loose and stuff wasn't being held together right. Mine would do third, fourth and fifth if I remember correctly. I drove it for 3 hours in 4th gear to get home and just pushed the clutch when ever I let off of the gas to make it home.

I would assume you have a similar problem. Something in the trans is worn out and it is telling you fix me or I will blow the %#$% up. Drain the trans fluid an see if you have any metal. Mine looked like i had a grinder going inside.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:17 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX Turbo

Sounds like the bushing on the linkage or the linkage itself, check if its hitting something like wirings and stuff this happen to me before.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:41 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Mine did this when I was out of transmission fluid. A buddy was supposed to be handling the refill of the fluid after a clutch change, but wouldn't you know it... It never happened. Then my clutch started popping out.

Verify you have the proper level of fluid in there by filling it up until it starts flowing out the drain.