Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Car missfire

Old 01-02-2005, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated
Default Re: The Legitimacy of our 1/4 miles *split the 14 Sec NA tib

recently my car has been driving like crap! The CEL came on and started flashing. I took it in and cylinder 2 AND 3 are miss-firing. It's wierd because I just changed the plugs about a month ago. I'm going to change the plugs and wires this time (maybe upgrade to NGK or Nology wires) but my question is...
Is there anything else I can do besides change the plugs and wires?
Any additional work needed to make sure my engine doesn't miss-fire anymore?
Old 01-02-2005, 02:32 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL
Default Re: gas milage rapidly deteriorating

I don't want to sound like a jerk but you did put the wires and plugs in the correct places right?? 1-1 2-2 3-3 4-4?? It is easily done. That's all I can think of right now.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Car missfire

recheck the gap on the plugs as well
Old 01-02-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Re: I need advice..

not quite sure if ur talking about a tib but anything DIS ignition you might wanna check your coil packs.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:52 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

Yes, double check the plug wires and the gap on the plugs and that should do ya.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:03 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yeah, I would check the gap on the plugs. I know you did this but check anyway but make sure you got all the wires lined up or that they are in. When I was checking the Tibby's condition when I bought it, I checked out the camshafts. I put everything back on and started the car. Rough as hell. I was like Oh shit I broke something. Turns out I left two plugs out. lol.gif
Old 01-02-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Re: New Decal Design Contest...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (silvertibbs)</div><div class='quotemain'>I don't want to sound like a jerk but you did put the wires and plugs in the correct places right?? 1-1 2-2 3-3 4-4?? It is easily done. That's all I can think of right now.</div>

Yes I did...I only changed plugs a month ago not wires too. The car (97 tiburon) ran fine for a month, this miss-fire just started happening like 2 days ago. I checked spark plug gap, it's fine...they only have like 500 miles on them. I think I might just need new wires.

AEMTIB: sorry for sounding stupid...what coil packs? how do you check them?
Old 01-02-2005, 03:11 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL
Default Re: LaughatRice.com

Prolly the wires then, sorry I thought you replaced them both at the same time.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:37 PM

I was going to add something.. but then I see that you had NOT changed the wires. I had a problem with trying to get performance wires around here.. everypair I got was a tiny bit too short.. but not noticible enough when you installed. The car would run and idle fine, but once you got underway, the wire would vibrate free of the plug , it was too short to press all the way home, and the car would run rough and a CEL would come on.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Direct Fire Ignition

thanks MadMachine, I was thinking of buying a set of performance wires and I saw online that they have measurments. I'll have to double check them before I purchase them.
Another question: I don't want to drive my car like it is right now (miss-firing and all) but I have to get to school/work. Is it ok to drive like this for 1 week or will something worse happen to my engine if I keep driving? Right now the ride is a little rough and the engine shakes like crazy when you pull the throttle cable (way more than usual), I also have CEL because of the miss-firing.