Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

CAI On A Rev A

Old 07-23-2006, 04:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys..Ive got a '97 tirburon in Australia. As most of this stuff is not quite legal here i was thinking of buying CIA system of ebay and saving some money. As i just started moding my car im not that good at it. Ive read quite a few posts here but all talk bout AEM and all those good systems which are quite expencive. I was thinking bout getting this one here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-01-HYUND...010073088QQrdZ1 but it just looks quite a lot different to what i saw in your posts. Is it really different or is it just the picture? Does it make a big difference if its AEM or just a simple one? Thanks guys..
Old 07-23-2006, 05:19 AM

That's the same one I got. Take my advice and don't get it. It doesn't just bolt on, i had to mod it a little. The materials are cheap. Im gonna get an aem as soon as i can afford it. But if you have your heart set on this one, i can show you what i did to make it work.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:30 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

It's called a CAI.

Get the AEM, you have proven quality and performance.

Go cheap, you get what you pay for.

No offense, but if 200 bucks shipped is too much for a QUALITY item, it's time to look for a new hobby.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:42 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

couple things

1. am i the only one to notice this is in the wrong forum???
2. the difference between the cheap ones and the aem's are mainly the extra's. That one comes with cheapo clamps and couplers. after a while mine pretty much fell apart and ended up buying new ones.

All in all though I still don't think an aem is worth 200 but it's close. I got an ebay one (so long ago I don't remember the seller's name) that I'll sell you. I think I have one new coupler and some clamps so you'll need to grab another 3" coupler off hightempsilicone.com (so it'll match) and a filter. I'll sell it to you for 30 plus shipping.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:21 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

nope i noticed it was in the wrong forum this morning

i reported it..
Old 07-23-2006, 02:10 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Supercow, someone in Aussie land bought a cheap AEM copy and had it shipped to me to send to him. I checked it out. The quality was SHIT, not to mention the filter they included, compared to the AEM. I got my AEM, brand new, for $145 shipped. I never go with the first price I find.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:02 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Don't buy that one.
If you're not going to get the AEM, get an AEM copy (the one you posted is an Injen copy ... AEM is a much better design for our cars)
I'd also like to add that the AEM copy I bought off ebay for my cousin was pretty good quality. Pipe is pipe, and couplers are just silicone. Only thing is it comes in two pieces and the AEM is one long piece, plus they come in k00l colors so you can rice out your engine bay .. and its AEM -- which is why I bought an AEM instead of a copy.

Do some searching and you should be able to determine the difference between an AEM copy and an Injen copy off of ebay.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:29 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

Osv4, don't get that one: it's designed to have a MAF sensor in between the two piping sections & won't work on your car unless you go out & get another straight section of piping, which won't match anyway. That pseudo CAI will also just put your cone filter underneath your battery tray & won't be a true CAI. It could also get you defected in Sydney.

If you really want an ebay cheapo CAI, get something like this AEM knockoff, it'll put your filter behind your passenger side fog-light. Postage will suck though sad.gif
Old 07-23-2006, 08:58 PM

Vehicle: 1997 RD Tiburon

PSC have modified filter boxes, they are nearly a straigh Fiberglass or Carbon Fibre runner straight to your Thottle Body, they also modify the filter box so flow is much better. They are 100% street legal in Australia, saves the pain of getting defects for CAI's.....

Fiberglass Intakes

Carbon Fibre

For fiberglass fitted your looking at $250....$200 If you DIY.

Carbon Fibre is a bit more pricey, but looks awesome, they are $330 with the Box modified.

PSC are located in Sydney and I use their products. PSC have fantasic customer service. They have just about everything Hyundai, if it's not in Australia, they can get it for you from K-spec or Shark Racing, etc..
Old 07-23-2006, 10:03 PM

Yeah..well i know AEM is much better, but im still in school so i dont have 200$ just to spend it like that. If i did i would just buy it. The other thing is, its illegal to have the CAI here and if i have to take it out its just a waste of money. OzFxCoupe so if i bought that one as you gave me the link to, do i need any other parts? or just that one? Do they give a lot of those defects notices? Cos like most cars got cannons with CAI here..