Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Cai? Or No?

Old 10-10-2006, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock filters, stock intake, what would be a good investment? A good quality intake system with one of those K&N lifetime filters? Or would the stock replacement one be good enough?

1998 Hyundai Tiburon FX.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:23 AM

If you dont really plan on doing anything to your car, just keep it stock. If you want to add a little horsepower buy an AEM CAI comes with K&N filter or a cheap one off ebay.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:03 PM

Is the little horsepower addded noticeable? And buying the High end filter, worth it? Money wise? (That's buying new filters/labour for changing it)
Old 10-10-2006, 12:06 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Buy a CAI mang!

I'm a soldier, I don't get paid the big bux. I'll go with a chrome intake AEM clone intake.

As redzman will say as this thread develops "support the companies which support us", which means buy an AEM.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:07 PM

First off....do you want to make your car anyfaster or have more power? or do you just want to keep it pretty much stock?

If you buy the AEM cold air intake you will notice a difference in sound (a good one) and YOU will notice a little more pickup. but if you just want SOME performance, id recommend CAI, headers, and an exhaust and call it a day. and the installation of the CAI is a breeze!! dont pay anyone to do it for you

also...a CAI will increase gas mileage. gives more air to the motor=good for gas mileage lol and some power...itll give you about 4-6whP
Old 10-10-2006, 03:03 PM

I just want a CAI for better mileage and good sound.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:09 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (homey14h @ Oct 11 2006, 04:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>CAI will increase gas mileage. gives more air to the motor=good for gas mileage..</div>

Um...that is not really correct..Techincly and logicly it is, but in reality that doesnt happen..

I did my CAI a month ago, there is a big difference in sound (after 4,500 RPM it sounds like a V6 lmao.gif), you get a bit more responce on ur gas pedal. The whiplash (not sure how u spell it) is more noticible wink1.gif But with all this "fun" stuff comes the gas thingy..Because of the sound and the little perfomance you become addicted to it and want to push and drive it just a little bit harder wink1.gif you rev your car more just to hear that sound, which uses up more fuel laugh.gif ..But once you start modifying your car, you wont be able to stop, u will want more, more and more..

I just wanted an exhaust and thats it - got that..well then i wanted a CAI and nothing else - got that..well now i decided i want a new throttle body and ecu upgrade laugh.gif and next year looking into putting a turbo laugh.gif as i said...this is addictive laugh.gif
Old 10-10-2006, 07:19 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

^^Yes, that usually happens, however, when you talk about MPG ratings, the driver of the car has nothing to do with it. It has to do with the effeciency of the engine itself, and since a CAI makes the motor more effecient by drawing in MORE air (more air because it sucks in cooler air, which is more dense, thus it has more air molecules), it improves gas mileage AND increases horsepower.

Use the filter that comes with it, the new AEM dry-flow is a nice filter. Plus our MAF's don't like oil, so why put an oil-based filter on?

Yes, you will feel a difference. (i think it dynoed 13whp)

In my opinion, yes it is worth buying, I LOVE mine, I don't think you'll find anyone on here who will disagree.

Look on ebay, you can get the AEM for around $175-200 shipped.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:00 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (homey14h @ Oct 10 2006, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>a CAI will increase gas mileage. gives more air to the motor=good for gas mileage lol and some power...itll give you about 4-6whP</div>

Not for me... at 5K RPM it sounds like a banchee screaming out of hell..... I like it.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:05 PM

For an alternative to the pricy K&N... try a prelude filter.

Prelude Filter Thread on 318ti.org