Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Cai Air Filter Change/cleaning

Old 09-26-2006, 12:50 PM
MKE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty much what the topic says. i just got my cheap (50$ shipped) aem knockoff from ebay, and i plan on getting a new filter anyway, but how often should you clean/change it?

and i'm reading mixed things on it, does it increase, decrease, or pretty much the same, your mpg. i know i'm not going to be getting anywhere near what i was, but that's because i'm havin fun right now.

and if your interested, ill post the auction/seller because i had no fitment issues at all, everything lined up perfectly, plus it's an aem clone not the injen one. (only problem i had was on my car, the hole your supposed to screw the bolt into was all rusted and everything, so that took some time cleaning out)
Old 09-26-2006, 01:28 PM

if you have a reusable one you should do it every time you do an oil change. while your down there just take it off and wash it out or use filter cleaner.

a cai supposidly should increase you mpg but everyones car and driving habbits are different
Old 09-26-2006, 03:04 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

First, you have to find out whether the filter is oil based or not, that determines how your going to clean it.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:26 PM
MKE

it's not an oil based filter, i know that much.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:44 PM

Just use some non oil based filter cleaner every once in a while, maybe every oil change blow it out with some light pressurized air if you have access to it.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:47 PM
MKE

allright, i can do that. i'm just about to do an oil change (400 mi) so ill check it and see what it looks like.

But i have one more question that i dont think deserves it's own topic- is water/rain something else i should be worried about? like i washed my car today (by hand) should i worry about driving it right after? again, ive been reading mixed thoughts on that, because while water will hydro-lock your engine, doesnt it have ALOT of traveling to go/be sucked through to worry about that?
Old 09-26-2006, 09:01 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you guys are smoking crack

The Last Air Filter Your Engine Will Ever Need - We warranty our automotive and street vehicle replacement filters for 1 million miles. Why would we do such a thing? Because they are engineered to last the life of your auto and motorcycle engine. We use only the highest quality materials and never compromise. Every 50,000 miles, we recommend you clean and re-oil our filter, then put it back in your engine and it will perform virtually like new.

http://www.knfilters.com/filtercharger.htm

reset your ECU when you do an oil change. It will be a more noticable difference.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:06 PM

He bought a knock off, meaning it probably doesn't have a K&N Filter. wink1.gif

Besides thats for the old oil based filters, now they ship with the non oil based filters with AEM intakes anyway.

As for rain/washing car, don't worry. It has to be pretty much submerged. Even then, the engine has to be submerged for a while, if its just dipped in the water it'll run rough because the water will enter the combustion chamber and bead up so it'll shudder for a second.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:06 AM

So if I clean my engine in one of those car wash, and I use the 'water-gun' will it affect too much the filter? I mean, can I start my car right after the washing without worries of my car to turn of...
Old 10-02-2006, 11:11 AM

I would NOT wash it at a car wash then throw it back on and start it right up. granted it shouldny hydrolock it since its not bein submerged but i still woudlnt do that.