Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Burning and blowing Oil

Old 10-20-2013, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 98 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Burning and blowing Oil

My car has been going through oil like crazy... 2 to 3 quart a month. On top of that I came home the other day to find a oil racing stripe in my driveway right underneath where my exhaust is. Help Please
Old 10-20-2013, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

We can't help unless you know where the oil is leaking. Get in the engine bay with a roll of paper towels and dry it all off, including underneath the engine. Take a short drive and check for fresh oil. If you don't find any, take a longer drive and look again. It could be anything from a stuck PCV valve to a falling-apart main seal.

The first step is finding the leak.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 98 Hyundai Tiburon

Everything in the engine bay has been washed and wiped down. I have been under and through everything and no leak... the streak in the driveway seems to be coming from the exhaust upon start. Is that even possible?
Old 10-21-2013, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Yeah, that's possible. If it's on a cold start it's probably leaking around the valves. Especially if you're getting some blue smoke on startup.

My current 1.6l has about 150k miles on it and consumes about a quart of oil every 1000 miles but it is raced and abused.