Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Black Smoke

Old 05-11-2010, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Ok, so I just got my engine running and my car on the road. I put meghan headers on it, and plugged in the O2 sensor to the bottom of the headers in the bung. I also recently had a new flex pipe made, and a bung put in it, and the O2 sensor in it. The engine had a lot..and I mean A LOT..of gummed up oil, my guess is whoever had it used some cheap oil. We used about 3 gallons of diesel and rinsed through it before we dropped it in, and pulled the oil pan and made sure it was all outta there, but im sure there's some in the motor still. Now, if I get the rpms up to about 5500 and rack em and pop it to/at 6 to 6500, I get black smoke shooting out and the exhaust smells horrible. But from idle up to 5500 it smells fine, and no smoke. My question is, what would the cause be? I'm thinkin it's just from the engine cleanin out the diesel and bad oil and the fact it hasnt been running for a long time. But I also think it may be because both of my sensors are before the cat, I can't think of why it would be doin this, since the cat is still there. Any ideas?

thanks! Sorry for the novel
Old 05-11-2010, 04:46 PM

Vehicle: 99 rd2 coupe 1.8

That's just all of the crap getting out of the engine. You would be worried if it didn't clear itself up over the next few weeks. If it did it under accelertion all the time that would mean that your piston rings are shot. But hopefully it clears itself. How much oil have you got in there? Is everything torqued properly? What sealant did you use?
Old 05-11-2010, 08:36 PM

go buy some seafoam it helps a TON
Old 05-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If it doesn't go away, suspect your fueling. Stock fuel management is VERY rich in open loop operation, and if you don't have catalytic converters in the exhaust, it might be just running rich. What are you doing for fuel control & what sort of exhaust do you have on it?

Exhaust smoke colors: white=coolant blue=oil black=fuel

Junk in the crankcase should make the oil get nasty and maybe clog the oil filter. It should NOT be making nasty exhaust, unless you have Bad Problems inside the head, or bad piston rings.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:24 AM

A guy over on HA thinks it might be my fuel injectors, because at a cold start, it idles really rough for a minute until I give it some gas, then when I let off it smooths out a little. Also, if I'm driving and go to stop, and it idles, it tries to bog down and die for a second, then it flattens out. Does this everytime I stop, without fail. And when I get it up to high rpms, i.e. Take off, the exhaust smells horrible and it smokes black.

I have meghan headers, with an O2 sensor at the bottom right before the flange, as well as 2.5" flex pipe, with an O2 sensor in it, and then a cat, and 2.5" custom exhaust straight back into a 4" tip.

I filled it up with royal purple 10-30w, put 4 quarts in it, so maybe it has a little too much?

I think I covered everything..I'll probably find here in a sec that I didn't

Oh, also it's throwing a CEL, not sure what code, havn't got it on a computer. But another guy said it's probably just because the sensor isn't behind the cat.

Also, I'm not sure how big of a difference it'll make, as I was told they are the same size, but I'm runnin a beta 2 swap, with my beta 1 intake manifold and beta 1 injectors.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:02 PM

Vehicle: 99 rd2 coupe 1.8

Ignition leads...spark plugs or maybee your coil packs
Old 05-12-2010, 05:40 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

I've never understood why people don't just get their codes read. Seriously almost any local auto store will do it for free and if you're car is running horribly and your CEL is on, why wouldn't you go get it checked? There's an 800lb gorilla in the room and he's destorying everything, yet you ignore it.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:42 PM

I would take it to an auto shop, but I live in a po-dunk town, and the closest that wouldnt charge, is about 45 minutes both ways, and don't have the extra money to go there right now.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Then move the 2nd O2 sensor behind the cat, clear the code, and see what happens. If it comes back, you need to get it read. Unless you fancy replacing another engine, that is.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:23 AM

Could also be fouling plugs or a dirty MAF sensor.