Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Best method to clean the glass inside of headlights?

Old 01-07-2011, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Tiburon
Default Best method to clean the glass inside of headlights?

Whats the best method to clean the inside of the headlight casing and glass? I have some dirt and residue inside mine and I'd like to clean it up so it shines better. Do I have to heat and pry them apart or is there a better way?
Old 01-07-2011, 01:01 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Grime inside of the assembly is a pretty bad sign. If you Are certain that the assembly has been compromised It's probably better to replace it.

A better bet is yours, like mine, are clouded from a hard decade+ of service. Gets some Plast-x, painters tape and buffer. I use a buffing wheel attachment that goes on the end of cordless drill. Tape off the body to prevent nastiness, apply a small amount to the wheel and go nuts. Takes just a few minutes.... I assume. I've been lazy and haven't done the job yet. When it get warmer out and I order the HIDs for the fogs I'll get off my butt.

Plast-x ~ $7

Buffer ~ $3

tape ~ $1
Old 01-08-2011, 08:38 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

^That will work......temporarily. If they're that bad, wet sanding the haze away is the best way to get them sparkling like new again, then maintain them with the Plast-x.

With just plast-x

After 2000 grit wet sand and plast-x

Old 01-08-2011, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

I did the same thing with mine, wet sand with 2000 grit paper the the plast-x although I had to hand buff it, turned out great. Of course this is not gunna help you with the inside of your headlight at all. The best bet that I know of is to heat them up and pry them apart to get them clean, hell maybe even do some painting if your looking for a change. I have pulled apart 1 set of altezza lights (original version) and painted them white when I had a hard on for white accents on my Accent. To get them apart I used a hair dryer to heat them and some prying with my hands and a very carefully placed flat blade screwdriver. The heating process was very slow using the hair dryer so for the headlights I stepped it up and used the oven(electric). This was a couple years ago but I think I preheated the oven for 300 degrees and left them in for about 5 minutes. Pulling them apart was basicely the same as the tails except the entire headlight was hot to handle but it saved serious time using the oven. Once apart I painted the chrome bezel with factory matched paint (look at my sig) and I think it looks sick!

But not everything was a success, when I got tired of the white theme on my car I bout some new altezza tail lights (newer version) with plans to paint them, little did I know it would be about 2 years before i got to it. So about 4 months ago I began, my plan was still the same, paint them all black except the chrome used to reflect the light. This time I used a gas oven and set it for 350, pulled them out after 5 minutes and they were blazing hot...oops! I set it aside to cool a bit but I didnt let it cool enough. While trying to pry it apart I laid it on a towel face down...OOPS!

After a bit of prying it was coming apart and I sat the light up, a big flat spot developed on the face... LOL OOPS. So in the trash they went. Ironically after hitting ebay up for a new set they were now being offered in black with basically the same paint scheme I was shooting for.