Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Battery Light

Old 12-02-2005, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK here we go about 2 moonths ago the alternator went out. Did not know what was going on cause the car actually slowly died over like 3 days. Nothing like I have ever seen before. When I have seen ALTS go it was gone and you could be stuck on the side of the road. Well I got a new battery and replaced the ALT as well. Well last night it started again. I am thinking that the belt might not be as tight as it needs to be but other than that I am lost. Anybody out there got any other ideas?????
Old 12-02-2005, 06:24 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

when battery lights go on, almost every time it is because the battery isn't being charged.

you could have gotten a shitty alternator. where ever you got it, bring it back to have it checked/warrantied. hopefully they can check it while its in the car and not have to do a bench test
Old 12-02-2005, 06:32 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

does battery lamp on when you turn on key to ON position (engin not working)?
Old 12-02-2005, 06:54 AM

Light comes on when I start the car here is what happened last night.

Went out for about an hour and stopped at gas station before I went to my place left the car running while went inside to get something to drink came out and the battery light was barely on. Revved the motor and it would go off. So I figured great get out this morning and the car will not start. Funny thing got out this morning and runs like nothing was ever wrong with it the night before and the battery light did not even come on.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:07 AM

it may be faulty alt, check voltage on the bettary when off and on.

it also may be loose terminals, check them and clean them.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:25 AM

I will do all of this and give and update as soon as I check everything until then if anyone can think of anything else please let me know.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

The battery light comes on if the alternator is not charging.
Get an alt. from a place that has a lifetime warranty and you can switch them out as many times as you need to. I paid $140 once at Autozone and swapped it out for free 3 times now because of them getting fried by the turbo exhaust. Do you have a turbo situation like that?

You may have a short, or it may be overheating, or may be getting some kind of chemicals on it.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:54 PM

if engine is not working ang ignition is in ON - battery lamp should be on. When you start the engine battery lamp should go off.

BUT 3 times I had problems with alternator (voltage regulator went bad) that lamp didn't come on. Cause alt gave like 13V that was too low to charge the battery but enough for that light to be off.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:52 PM

Have you done any wiring upgrades? You didn't run a second cable from the alt to battery positive did you?

If the belt is loose or slipping, the alt could be fine but your battery light would still come on, since it wouldn't be charging properly. That was my problem. Never use belt dressing BTW, boy does that stuff suck.

I ended up buying a like new alt from a 2000 Elantra for $35, with all new bolts and brackets. Mine were all corroded. Man, what a difference no rust makes when installing parts.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:31 AM

OK let this boggle the mind.

I have done no wiring upgrades from battery to alt I do not have a turbo either. Now the light came on again last night on my way to my mothers house but had not been on all day long. Got up this morning and the light was not on while driving. Of course the light comes on when you first start the car and then turns off. I went to Autozone did a battery test as well as an alt test and everything is perfect. Also checked the belt and seemed to be fine good tension on the belt that is.

So riddle me this one Batman what in the world could be going on now?