Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Battery Cables Or Terminals?

Old 04-07-2005, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone. I just replaced the battery in my Tib yesterday because the people I got it from put a lousy 450 CCA in it. I bumped it up to 675.

Anyway, my battery cable terminals are corroded pretty badly. The negative is real bad and the positive isn't too bad after I cleaned it up. I didn't know if I should replace just the terminals or the whole cables. I don't have any extra amps, subs, or anything in the car so I don't need to put anything too hardcore in it.

I know some cables in stores are not very high quality and you have to make sure there is enough slack, etc. So I was thinking of pulling some cables out of a car at a junk yard for replacements since they would fit correctly with no alterations. Would this be a bad idea? Thanks, this is probably a dumb question, but electrical systems isn't really my area of expertise.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:00 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

don't make more work for yourself. just replace the cable end(s)

its real simple, i did 'em all the time at my old job
Old 04-07-2005, 07:02 AM

I was thinking that may be easier, but which method of terminal ends should I use? I don't have a welder or anything so I'd probably have to use the screw on clamp version(are these in danger of corroding easier than others?) or a shrink wrap maybe(Is that possible?).
Old 04-07-2005, 07:28 AM

Go to Autozone or similar store. They should have a variety of terminals to choose from. I think there's also a DYI on this somewhere, maybe you can get some ideas from there.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:02 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

i've never even heard of welding (maybe you mean soldering) a terminal end.

its pretty easy. cut off old. strip the wire. clean any excess corrosion on cable. put on new. viola
Old 04-07-2005, 08:05 AM

Yes I meant soldering, sorry about that. I'm going to head over to Autozone in a few and see what options they have. I found the DIY in their website and it looks pretty easy. Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:06 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

use the same cable that car audio ppl use to run power from the batt i think is 0awg is about or alittle over half inch round be sure to put a light coat of grease on the terminals. so they sont go white again
Old 04-07-2005, 10:55 AM

Ok, I picked up a couple new terminals and have replaced the negative terminal just fine, that was the really bad one. The positive terminal is not as bad but I should still replace, but I'm not as sure about how to do it. It has multiple wires connected to it though and I'm not sure where they all go.

The terminal currently on the cable has an extra attachment point on top with a 2nd wire running off of it(Anyone know what this is for?) I connected the main wire to the terminal and the second one I connected to the bolt. I also put some grease on them. It seems to be all good now. Just curious about what that second wire on the positive leads to(Webtech says it goes to the EE01 In-Line Connector, but not what that is). Thanks for the help.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:45 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

Best way is to solder wire to the terminal.

And when you'll be connecting your terminals - use graphite grease. It will prevent corrosion. (correct me if I'm wrong)
Old 04-07-2005, 03:56 PM

Dielectric grease is what you are looking for. Cuts down on corrosion AND increases the connectivity.