Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Apexi Safc 2 Problem

Old 05-28-2007, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just put on my ported and polished head (and its actually sealing) after my cold start my system runs way lean and then i just shut it off... any ideas? i even richened it up all the way for low throttle.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:06 PM
Banned

so, just after port/polishing the head, it shows you are running WAY lean. what were you running at idle before?

i usually run like 14.8-15.2:1 AFR at idle.

is it idling fine, or rough? could be a vacuum leak.

it doesn't seem like it would be from the SAFCII even though they are junk for tuning turbo.

just porting the head wouldn't change how the car idled very much.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:16 PM

idling high for the cold start and a/f is fine during those few seconds. but as soon as it comes down from the cold start it gets leaner and leaner and i shut it off whne it gets to 17. i dont hear a vacuum leak, but not sure. i figured if its too small for me to hear i might be able to correct it with the apexi for the time being

also i was messin with the idle on my sh*tty throttle body becuase it would idle at about 2200 maybe more. im gunna get a can of brake cleaner and go from there i guess to find some leaks. and my car was idling weird before i messed with the idle, the rpms were fluctuating( i think i spelled that right)
Old 05-28-2007, 08:10 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Man, please, if you have your engine built the way you have mentioned to use, please ditch that safc2 and get yourself a standalone.

Why waste all that money and tune it with a safc.

Makes no sense to me.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:26 PM
Banned

yeah, you need to upgrade fuel management.

but i really think its running lean because of a vac. leak. i had similar problems, and sometimes i couldn't hear the leaks, but my vac. was at about 15 in/hg instead of 25. and the car ran fine, just lean.. cheak for crimped hoses, your TB being opened too much, etc.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

It's not the SAFC causing that problem. Like socks said, it's got to be a nasty vacuum leak.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:43 PM

trust me, stand alone is the next step but i gotta have it driving first. right now its fine, not sre what i did but whatever. right now its idling irratically like up down up down like an iac. but maybe someone knows what sensor that might be off hand? i cant find any vacuum leaks either and my bov sounds different... i think haha i havent heard it in awhile

i forgot to add... i still have the same gas from like december? think thats part of it?

update: irratic idle was fixed by turning down the idle (thank god) but now when i rev it up, it leans out while coming back down which is alright. but when it settles at about 1000 it stays all the way lean then starts slowly climbing. any input?